- XIII. -

[B i r m i n g h a m , 1 9 1 9]

It was finally Black Star Day. Tommy had only confided in Zara and Theo the exact date for when they would take out Billy Kimber. Zara woke that morning filled with adrenaline. Her father had been wanting to get rid of Kimber for a while, but never had a real opportunity; until they started working with the Shelbys that is. Tommy and Zara had concocted a solid plan, nothing could go wrong.

Tommy collected Zara first, knocking loudly on her door, before waiting patiently on her front door step. Zara swung open the door and jumped into Tommy's arms, making the man stumble back a bit before he regained his balance. Tommy held her waist as her legs were wrapped around him and looked at her, unimpressed.

"Hi, my love. It's Black Star Day." Zara squealed, very excited.

Tommy chuckled and leaned in, giving her a quick kiss. "Yes, darling, it is." Tommy put her down and waited as she locked up her house. "I'm going to get John and Arthur, you go on ahead to the betting shop."

"Okay, love. I'll see you soon." Zara kissed him again before pulling her coat tight around her body, and walking ahead of Tommy to Watery Lane.

Tommy hung back for a second, watching her walk away. He let out a deep breath, silently praying that no matter what would happen today, they would be unharmed and they would come home to each other. Normally, Tommy wouldn't care what happens to him, but Zara gave him something to live for, and he couldn't bear the thought of leaving her on her own.

♔♔♔♔

After collecting John and Arthur, Tommy told them as well to head straight to the betting shop for the family meeting, there was something he needed to do alone first. Tommy had information that inspector Campbell had been frequenting a brothel in the Chinese district, and he thought it was time to pay him a visit. Campbell was fixing his tie as Tommy stepped in the room, unnoticed.

"It's curious, Inspector. I thought you came to clean up the city. Not to sleep with its whores." Tommy said sarcastically, face emotionless. "You're no different to any other copper that came before you."

"I'm no different from those who should follow, should I choose to leave."

"You've no reason to stay. You have what you came for." Tommy said, slightly smirking.

Campbell turned to face him. "Yes, I have what I came for. I have a meeting with Winston Churchill at midday. No doubt he intends to congratulate me on finding those stolen guns. And you still don't know how we found them, do you?" Campbell started to taunt Tommy. At his lack of response, he smirked. "Good."

"No, you got lucky."

"Did I?" Campbell continued.

"Yeah."

Campbell sighed and walked towards Tommy. "One thing I have learnt. Is that you and I are opposites but also just the same. Like an image in a mirror." He turned around and walked back over to the mirror, fixing his suit again. "We hate people. And in turn they hate us. And fear us. Before the day is over, your heart will be broken just the same as mine. Men like us, Mr. Shelby... will always be alone. And what love we get, we will have to pay for." Campbell sighed sadly.

Tommy was getting angry, but kept his exterior stone cold. "You forget, Mr. Campbell. I have my family, and my woman. Enjoy your day." Tommy turned and quickly walked out of the brothel, leaving Campbell in his wake.

♔♔♔♔

Zara, John and Arthur were dancing around the betting shop, waiting for the rest of the family's arrival. Polly rolled her eyes at the childish adults, but smiled at the light hearted atmosphere. Zara was startled as Tommy came into the shop. He came up beside her wrapping an arm securely around her waist, and pulled her to stand in front of the family with him. He raised his hand and the room instantly became quiet, waiting to hear what he had to say.