- XIV.-

[B i r m i n g h a m , 1 9 1 9]

Zara took a deep breath before following Polly into the Garrison. The women confidently strode into the pub, elegantly sitting at the bar. Grace was in the back room, trying to gather her things to make a quick escape and didn't hear them come in. She jumped as she ran from the back room and saw the two vicious ladies sitting there with smirks etched onto their faces.

"Going for good?" Polly asked, looking at Grace's bag.

"I heard there was trouble." Grace internally cringed at her lame excuse.

"Instinct's a funny thing, isn't it?" Zara said, sharing a sarcastic smile with Polly.

"Look, the fighting's about to begin. We should get out of here." Grace tried to push past the women, but Zara held out her arm, blocking her.

"We know who you are." Polly said firmly. "Tommy does too, and Theo will know soon enough. Turns out that copper as good as told Tommy this morning, but I want to hear it from your own lips." Polly reached into her hair and pulled out a very sharp pin that was hidden.

Grace took a step back and took out her gun that was hidden in her purse, pointing it at Polly who didn't flinch.

In an instant, Zara raised her own gun to Grace's head and clicked her tongue in mock disappointment. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"I am an agent of the Crown." Grace's hand began to shake. "I have the power to arrest and the right to use force, so please step out of my way."

"Like we said, instinct is a funny thing. You fell for Theo for real, didn't you?" Polly said, slightly tilting her head to the side.

"This gun is loaded." Grace spoke slowly, trying to intimidate the women.

"So is this one. We're not afraid of you." Zara cocked her gun in warning.

"I feel sorry for you." Polly slightly smirked, looking Grace up and down. "Slip of a thing. Thought you'd come in here and stitch us all up. I mean, we've had some copper's narcs in here, but you? You're the queen of them all." Polly and Zara slowly started to move forward, forcing Grace to step back towards the bar. "So who are you? Rich girl I'd guess. Unionist. Ulster volunteer. You thought Fenians, communists, low people, they're all the same. Scum. Then you met Theo."

Grace cut Polly off. "I'll fight you with my fists and show you how a rich girl fights. I'm from a tough family too."

Zara snorted. "I'll believe that when I see it."

Polly sent Zara a warning glance, putting her pin back in her hair. "We women have more sense. Why don't you pour us all a drink?"

Zara put her gun away, trusting Polly's judgement and followed the older woman to one of the many tables. Grace stood in shock for a moment, before putting her gun away as well and pouring them all a whiskey.

"So, am I right? Did you fall for Theo?" Polly took out a cigarette, passing one to Zara as well.

Grace sat down at the table, sitting in silence for a moment. "Yes...I did."

"Then I pity you." Polly said drinking her whiskey.

"I think he'll try to kill me." Grace said seriously.

Zara let out another snort. "He's too soft. If you truly loved him you would know that."

"Soft?" Grace questioned, ignoring the second part of Zara's statement.

"Soft. Like you." Zara said plainly. "Theo never really wanted to be a part of this business. That's why he runs the legal side, and I run the illegal. He sees you as his way out, so he jumped at the chance. Maybe he did love you, but he will never forgive you after we tell him what you've done."