- XXVII. -

[ D e r b y D a y , 1 9 2 2 ]

The Epsom Derby was one of the biggest events of the year. Anyone who was anyone always made an appearance at Epsom. Zara and Theodore King had been honored guests since they were children. Since their father was such an important figure in the racing world, the Kings had been given their very own place to make bets and watch the races.

Today, with the help of her twin brother, Zara was supposed to return to the races she loved so dearly as a kid and kill her father. Bestow upon him the same fate that he wished to give to her child and fiance. Now when the couple were forming their plans, Tommy had never explicitly said that she needed to kill James King, but Zara knew that it was the only outcome that would leave them both alive.

The Kings' booth was guarded every year by both police and members of their gang. Zara knew the police would be taken care of, but she still had to get past her father's men. That's where Theo came in. They planned that Theo would take her to the booth under the guise that she surrendered and wanted to regain her spot in the business. Once their father's guard was down, they would both take the shot, not giving James any time to defend himself or alert the men outside.

Zara ran over the plan multiple times in her head as she walked with Tommy through the derby to meet with May Carleton first to check on the horse.

"She threw a shoe coming out of the box." May said, as she saw them approach, an unreadable expression on her face.

Tommy's anxiety spiked the closer they got to the woman he cheated on his fiancee with. He could only pray Zara couldn't tell the change in his demeanor. He ran his hands over the horse, checking her over. "She looks in fine shape."

Zara joined him, running her hand softly over the horse's nose, cooing at her. Tommy moved to her side, patting the horse on the head and mumbling in Romani. May could only watch in silent envy.

"Should I be worried?" Tommy asked the horse trainer, leaving Zara who continued to pet the horse.

"You should not. Go and drink, enjoy the day. I'll come and find you when the race is done."

Zara's ears perked up as she tried to listen to what they were saying. She has never had a good feeling about the posh woman, and she couldn't help the anger bubbling in her stomach as she saw them chatting. She left the horse with one last pat on the nose and rejoined her fiance.

She saw a red dress hanging from a beam in the stable. "That's nice. Is it yours?" She asked May.

The woman nodded. "My mother wore it to the derby in 1895. She was presented to Queen Victoria." Zara hummed. May directed her attention back to Tommy. "After the race, I'll change in the horse box and come and join you up there with the toffs. What do you say?"

Tommy did not respond.

May scoffed sadly. "You don't want me to join you."

Zara tsked in mock sympathy. "Sorry, love, did Tommy not tell you? We will be in my father's box, and it is strictly family only." Sure she made that up on the spot, but Zara would be damned if she let that woman get any closer to Tommy.

"It's fine, I'll sit out here in the mud." She faked a smile and walked away from the couple.

Zara stood in front of Tommy as May walked away. He sighed and lovingly placed his hands on her belly. He leaned down and gave her a sweet kiss, trying to express all of his love for her.

She reciprocated, keeping her hands on the side of his face even after they broke apart. The lovers eventually separated, both going separate ways to enact the next part of their plan. Tommy to deal with the man he was supposed to kill, and Zara to bring Theo and Grace back together.