Ch. 7: Loss

A/N: *Guess what? Dysphoria again! Take care of yourself. UPDATE AUGUST: WATTPAD GLITCHED WHILE I WAS UPDATING CRIES??? So I'm pasting everything in again

~~~

I might have only been going to Termina Field for some kind of reprieve, but I quickly realized I couldn't just keep loitering around forever.

As appealing as pausing the passage of time seemed, as appealing as never needing to move onto the dredges of adulthood was... I couldn't handle this three-day cycle, never able to grow close to anybody but Tatl.

Maybe I'd be free from it if I could finish the game. After a moment of backtracking to reorient myself, I made my way to the swamp, determined to at least get started. Though when I came to the swamp's entrance, when the grass beneath my feet began to turn to mush, I... hesitated.

Being out here was different than being in Clock Town. Back there, I knew exactly what to do and exactly what would happen- more or less- at every hour of the day. But I'd never set foot in the swamp before.

I supposed there had to be a first time for everything.

But I wished I didn't have to experience that first time firsthand.

I steeled myself, grimacing as I felt my boots sink into the soft ground surrounding the swamp. I felt way too heavy- if only I could just be lighter...

... Lighter? I pulled the Deku mask out of my inventory, staring at it for a long moment.

Every time I put it on, it reminded me of what the Skull Kid-- and by extension, the creature that had brought me here did. But I knew I had to use it. Maybe if I could just use what I'd been cursed with to make things... just a little easier...

Tatl chimed impatiently and I slipped the mask onto my face, doubling over as I felt my flesh and bones unbind, morphing into the lighter wooden form I needed. My breathing felt harsh in my throat, but at least the pain wasn't as unbearable as last time. Maybe my body was getting more used to the change.

Feeling much warmer and drier, I started toward the hut on struts in the middle of the lake. It was the only landmark around, after all-- and it had a boat that I probably needed docked beneath it. I mostly ignored the business skrub to my left as I climbed the ladder, merely casting them a glance before heading inside.

"Welcome!" The man behind the counter greeted me as I entered. I glanced up at him, wringing my hat (or... stem?) slightly to try to get some of the dampness out of it. "Wait... is this your first time at the swamp?!"

I gave a nod, going to answer but quickly being cut off.

"In that case, try our famous boat cruise! it's a loop of the swamp by way of the Deku Palace."

Huh, Deku Palace? I didn't know why, but I didn't really expect there to be a palace full of... whatever I was.

"Of course, the swamp's been kinda... poisoned lately. Oh, and there's also that huge, horrible monster... No wonder business is so slow..."

"You mean the- Octopus outside?"

The man gave me a perplexed look. "The Octorok, yeah. Boat cruise reservations are handled at that window over there."

The Deku Palace... definitely sounded pretty plot significant. If I wanted to finish the game. I'd probably have to go there. And if the cruise took me there, it was going to be my best bet. I stepped back, glancing toward the window and- there was absolutely nobody there.

Maybe an invisible person...? I mean- this was Zelda. And I was currently a being of living, sapient wood. I sidled closer, squinting at the sign.