Ch. 13: My Reality

A/N: *Remind me it's okay to put out subpar chapters as long as shit gets published please HAHAHA I fussed over this way too much. Also this has some blood, mild body horror and mild grief

~~~

I'd woken in something of a daze, but I didn't want to open my eyes yet.

Warm sunlight poured across my body through my window and the birds were chirping outside, punctuated by the occasional caw of a crow. I could hear my father downstairs, his shoes squeaking along the tiled kitchen floor as he cooked breakfast.

I pulled the blankets up to my neck, letting myself soak in the moment as I went to brush my hair aside.

There was nothing there.

My chest tightened as the image in my mind's eye stuttered. There was blood pooling on the kitchen floor. The warm sunlight that I'd been relishing every moment of vanished, sending a chill through my body. I could hear that creature's bones creaking with every step, its grey-white claws scraping along the tiles.

There was whispering coming from the walls around me, and without considering it even for a moment, I cried out for help. Even though I'd never left my bed, I felt now that I was standing alone in the dark, my eyes wide as I looked around myself.

There was a rustling of leaves, and then the heavy thunk of an aging spotlight turning on.

Feeling short of breath, I slowly turned back toward it.

A statue garbed in the green of fields stood in the spotlight, its back to me. I willed myself to run away, but for some reason I couldn't stop myself from walking steadily toward it, my hand slowly reaching out through the dust caught by the light to touch it.

The rustling of leaves in my ears was louder than ever as I felt the warm wood beneath my fingertips. I could almost make out a pulse...

And then it shrieked.

Absolutely mortified, I stumbled back, but the darkness around me had solidified, and I could only press my back hard against the wall.

The statue, now more boy than wood, flexed its fingers, giggling as it- as he slowly twisted his head to the side, glaring at me over his shoulder. Blood streamed from his eyes down his cheeks, dripping from his chin and pooling on the floor below.

"You shouldn't have done that."

~~~

I woke up with a sharp gasp, my eyes damp with tears as I sat up, clenching the blankets at my chest. I knew it had been stupid of me to expect a peaceful rest after everything I'd been through, but I couldn't help my shock.

After a few moments of catching my breath, I noticed somebody's eyes on me. I glanced up, and abruptly realized Ben was staring directly at me.

I flinched, lowering my gaze. He didn't look away, sweeping his hat back over his shoulder as he walked toward the door.

"I'll get you breakfast." He said stiffly, stepping quickly out of the room just as he began to yawn.

I stared at the blankets, holding them tighter in an attempt to ground myself. I traced my nail over the slightly rough fibers, trying to kick my brain into action. What was I feeling? What was I thinking? Each rail my train of thought tried to follow was bricked off.

Despondence.

Resignation.

Helplessness.

Each time I tried to process my situation, the insurmountable emotions and fresh fear rendered it impossible. I had no clear objective to focus on, and furthermore, no way out.