Ch. 12: Rest

Each step through the mansion made it feel as though the walls were getting narrower and narrower, closing in on me. Ben still had a tight hold on my hand, pulling me along. The other boy was right behind us, humming as he walked.

Wasn't he in pain? His face was clearly mutilated...

Ben soon came to a stop, and I realized I'd zoned out for the better part of our route. We were in what looked like an almost normal hospital wing, the only thing giving away its circumstances being the multiple bloodied and shrouded corpses littering the room.

I shuddered. Ben set my body down on one of the beds, then gave a sigh.

"ANN!" The black-haired boy called from behind me, and I tensed, backing away from him nervously. Ben let go of my hand, but stepped in front of me to keep me from leaving.

Feeling slightly bitter, I leaned against the wall.

...

I couldn't stop looking at myself. Though of course the things Ben had said worried me, and of course I was scared of the mansion I found myself in...

The realization that I hadn't truly been myself for an entire week at least was what shook me to my core.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of footsteps. Where were they coming from?

I briefly scanned the room, but didn't realize the source until a curtain on the opposite wall was abruptly drawn aside.

A woman in what looked like a party store nurses' costume emerged, adjusting her crooked hat momentarily before her red eyes locked onto me. I shivered, but she paid me little mind, instead approaching Jeff and Ben.

"... Yes?"

Ben perked up, blocking her from my view somewhat as he rested both hands on his hips.

"I need this body kept alive." He said bluntly. From his tone, I got the feeling he wasn't the most comfortable around her.

"He hasn't had any food or water in almost a week. You should get on that now."

The nurse- whose name I assumed was Ann- didn't reply. She only rolled her eyes, shooing us out of the room as she began setting up the medical machinery around the bed.

Ben closed the door behind me, making sure to stay uncomfortably close as he led me through the halls. He didn't hold my hand this time, but I didn't dare wander.

My mind, on the other hand, had no such reservations.

When was I pulled from my body? I was sure it had to be before I entered the game-- after all, text prompts had appeared before me, mimicking Tatl before I ever met her.

So then, maybe the moment I found the Nintendo 64? But thinking back on it, my body didn't seem damp...
...

It must have been right after our first conversation. My eyes flicked up to Ben, fixed on the back of his head as I walked right behind him. I wasn't comfortable with asking him questions with the other boy around, so there was no way for me to make sure now, but...

"You need food too."

He said it so matter-of-factly that I nodded on impulse, without even questioning the situation.

"Wait- here- I'm not eating anything you fucks have around." I hissed, despite my growing hunger. I was sure they'd try to feed me body parts or something equally horrifying, and my gnawing fear must have been noticeable because the boy behind me took the opportunity to grab the back of my tunic, yanking me back.