two

luke

Every single day I drove Violet to school. And, like that, I was waiting for her once more. She was always late. Driving her to school was a way to be alone with her and hear her delightful voice. I was too proud to admit it out loud. Words of affirmations were never a skill of mine.

Even though I always seemed confident, with her I was vulnerable. She had that effect on me. When we were alone together, I was a completely different person. She was the only one who made me weak, it ran me crazy – being vulnerable around someone. I started falling for her the day I met her. She was wearing a low-cut black top and shorts extremely small. Her smile was big, holding a red cup of vodka in her hand. She was already drunk when I got to the high school party with my sister. Her long violet hair, living up to her name, was loose and danced with her has she moved on the dancefloor.

While I was leaning against the car, Violet went down the stairs of her house. She was wearing black skinny jeans and a baggy black shirt with red all-stars, and even like that she looked smoking hot. Her hair was loose once more and she tried to get it out of her face thanks to the wind, whilst looking for something in her black backpack that almost looked empty – and it probably was.

"Dammit," she said and went back to the house.

"Finally," I said as soon as Violet came back. "You lucky you're hot or I wouldn't wait."

"You always wait for Michael."

"He's hot too." I shrugged. "What did you forget this time? Your head?"

"No, my head is always here. I just forgot my phone. Au contraire, mon ami, you never forget anything. Not even your stupidity, she's always with you."

"I almost forgot how humorous you are."

"Shut up," she laughed. "Get in, loser, we're going to be late."

While I was driving, Violet told me that her parents caught her, thankfully, they didn't notice the fact that she was stoned. She gave them the usual speech with a little white lie: I'm a teenager, a little rebellion doesn't hurt anyone, and it's not like I went to smoke in the middle of the woods. It's David's birthday and we just wanted to be with him.

It was not David's birthday.

After everyone left, I remained in the car with Violet. In one second, we were talking and, in the other, she was on top of me, moving her hips as I moaned her name.

We went to school and saw our friends at the gates. Skyler, my twin, was already there, Calum picked her up every day. Serena and David were too – David with a cigarette in his mouth just like Michael. We always smoked the weed that Michael got for us, although Michael and David also smoke cigarettes, juts like Violet and me.

"'Sup fuckers," Violet greeted.

"Hey, kiddo." Michael kissed her head.

"Hey-oh." Ashton appeared. "Fuck, hide the cigarettes. Both of you. Now!" he yelled.

David and Michael, both with confused looks, put the cigarettes behind their back. A woman, in her late forties, although very well maintained, came to us with a little smile and a flower dress. "Hi." Ashton's mom smiled, making us smile back. "I caught Ashton coming home at three in the morning. He told me that it was Luke's birthday. So, I'm here to wish you a good day. Happy Birthday, Luke."

"Oh, thank you." I smiled, trying not to laugh. As soon as Ashton's mom left, we all laughed.

"I thought we all agreed that this time was David's birthday," Serena pointed.

"Yes, and, by the way, my real birthday was last week," I said.

"I panicked," he said, sighing and making us laugh.

Another boring day of classes was complete, and we agreed to meet at my door after dinner, at ten. It was a quarter to ten when I received a message from Violet, saying that she was already at my door. I left my house, seeing her sitting on the stairs, smoking a cigarette.

I didn't say anything as I sat beside her, like always. I put my hand on her face and made our lips touch. Her hand came to my hair, making the cigarette fall at the same time as our tongues moved. She slowly closed the kiss, pulling my lower lip where I had my lip piercing.

"Do you want one?" she asked as she lighted another cigarette.

"No need," I said, taking the box out of my pocket, also lighting one.

Our friends arrived and Skyler came to meet us. She stayed inside the house knowing that I wanted to me alone with Violet. Marcia arrived with Serena and David made a vomit sound. Serena produced a desperate face to us in a way that Marcia couldn't see.

"Hey, my friends," she slowly said. "Marcia is here with us."

"We can see." Calum crossed his arms.

"Our parents are friends, and they were having dinner at my house. They said that Marcia should come with us," she explained. "And we don't mind, because she's our friend, right?" she lied.

"The more the better, no? Our deaths will be longer, hopefully." Michael turned and we started walking towards the woods.

"Ahm, deaths?" the bitch, I mean, Marcia, asked.

"We're going to a creepy house in the middle of the woods," Skyler stated.

"We're going to die. Feel free to leave now if you want to." David smiled ironically.

The nine of us continued our walk and, after two cigarettes, we finally arrived. We kept walking for a few more minutes and we found the devastated house next to the river. It was kind of scary that people actually died there. I couldn't imagine being peaceful in my house and being caught on a fire.

"This is a bad idea" Michael said, laughing.

"Don't be a pussy, Michael." Violet smiled.

"I would never, Violet," he said. "You all ready?"

"Let's just get this done so we can smoke a cigarette in peace," Marcia grumbled.

"Finally, you said something nice," Calum replied.

And we went into the house.