eight

luke

My twin sister died in my arms, bloody and breathless. She will never go to college, she will never get married, she will never get kids. She lost the love of her life and I lost her. We were only eighteen, it wasn't supposed to end the way it did.

I placed her body on the floor and got up, looking at something I never thought I'd see – Skyler's corpse. I still couldn't believe I'll would never hear a word from her again.

With my bloody hands, I closed her eyes, grabbing the knife and the gun with one single bullet. "Goodbye, angel." I left a kiss on her forehead. Perhaps I should take off, I thought. It was better not be alone, even when I was the one with the gun.

I ran to the end of the corridor, trying to ignore my best friend's body right there in the middle – looking at me –, running to the first floor quietly. I saw Serena walking around, stressed and crying, whilst Violet was pressed against the door, sitting on the floor, with her hands running through her hair and sobbing. I looked around and, finally, I was able to see Ashton, covered in blood, laying down.

Violet saw me and ran to me. She hugged me strongly and hid her face in my chest. I wiped my tears while stroking Violet's hair. I kissed her forehead.

"What happened?" I asked, trying to stay calm for them.

"Someone fucking stab him with a fucking scissor on the fucking neck," Serena said still going around the kitchen.

"Stab? So, someone was in here too. Did one of you saw it?"

"When I got to them, he was already-" she sighs, unable to finish her sentence.

"Violet, my love, did you saw something?" I finished the hug, but Violet kept holding my arm.

"I don't know," she cries. "It was so fast, I don't know. I only know it looked like a tall dude."

"It's fine." I kissed her forehead again.

"Luke." Serena looked at me terrified. "Where's Skyler?"

I ended up crying again, hiding my eyes with my righthand, giving them the answer with my silence. Serena's hands ran to her mouth, gasping, and Violet just kept crying, hugging me.

"They cut her throat." I tried not to burst into tears. "They're getting close."

"I found three bullets on the living room." Serena took them out of Violet's pocket.

"And I found one." I grabbed the gun and the bullets.

"We could shoot the windows, maybe," she suggests.

"They're bulletproof, just like the door. I think we could shoot the people that are doing this," I proposed.

"Are you nuts?!" Violet looked at me. "You're completely out of your mind."

"It is self-defense."

"I don't give a shit if it's self-defense, Luke. Do you think you're able to just shoot them? How many guns have you shot? You would miss and they would kill you."

"What if we shoot the door latch?" Serena stood by the door. "We would be able to open it."

"That is a great idea, S. We need to get David and Michael."

Serena started to say something, however, I felt something heavy hitting my head, making me blackout completely.

I woke up lying on the floor. My head was hurting like hell. Nothing was a dream: we were in that fucking house. And my best friends and my sister were dead.

I checked my phone that marked two forty in the morning. It meant I blackout for twentyish minutes. Violet was lying next to me, bleeding from her forehead. Serena was nowhere to be found, just like the gun. I approached Violet, shaking her. In a few seconds, Violet woke up. I helped her standing. "Are you okay?" I asked.

"Are you?" she said angry and touched the cut on her forehead, seeing the blood on her fingers. "Fuck. Where's Serena?"

"I don't know." I sighed. "Do you remember anything?"

"I remember you falling and then, when I look, some son of bitch blacks me out too. I think it was the same person that killed Ashton. I don't know."

"He probably heard us when we talked about shooting the door. He knew that it was a way for us to takeoff, that's why I don't have my gun anymore. He took it."

"We must find Serena now, what if they-"

"Don't think that, please." I grabbed her hand. "Let's meet Michael and David in the basement."

"If they're still alive," she said whilst touching her cut again.