Chapter 2: Partition

When the coach for the volleyball team surveyed you two, he was more than amused at the people he'd ended up with. "I have doubts that you'll be getting along well," he chuckled, "but I hope you can manage the boys well enough."

"I certainly can sir!" Himari exclaimed, shooting you a mocking side glance, as if to say, "better than you can".

(You weren't even going to try and defend yourself from that.)

"Ah, here they are!" the other teacher, turned towards the doorway, where a large number of boys were filing through, their gazes directed at you.

"Everyone, these two are going to be your managers," Coach Irihata spoke, as the group crowded around you guys. "Fukara Himari and (L/n) (Y/n)."

"Hello! I look forward to working with you!" Himari greeted, with a sweet smile.

"Damn, she's cute," a second year commented, nudging his friend.

"Iwa-chan, she's so pretty!" you vaguely heard another boy say, only to yelp, after supposedly being given a smack on the head.

"Uhm... what about the other one though? That resting bitch face is already giving me nightmares," a third year whispered.

You suppressed a growl, and bowed stiffly, "Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Shit, that sarcasm..." another second year muttered.

"They're funny," a first year spoke, with a droning voice, one you vaguely recognised as Matsukawa Issei.

You almost smiled at the remark, glad someone was acknowledging that you were at least slightly funny.

You didn't have a high opinion of yourself; you knew you struggled with self control, social interaction and had very bad procrastination issues, but if there was one thing you knew you had, it was the ability to crack a good joke.

"I hope you two will be able to hand these boys," Coach Irihata finished up his introduction, "they can get quite rowdy, but I promise that once you get to know them, they are an incredible bunch."

"They better be," you grumbled, stuffing your hands in your pockets.

Himari's smile became tight lipped at your remark, and several of the guys grimaced at you; but Matsukawa only snorted, with his friend Hanamaki, a boy with spiky hair raised an eyebrow, and a handsome looking brunette merely eyed you with slight interest.

Maybe you wouldn't get along with the older ones, but the first years seemed to find your sense of humour quite enjoyable.

"Alright, everyone, let's get to it!" the coach called out, and the boys quickly scattered, in preparation for practice.

Himari sent a slight sneer in your direction before lilting away, her footsteps light and graceful. You scowled so hard you thought you might deform your face, before stalking over to the teacher, your feet creating loud, furious thuds against the laminated floor, and gruffly asking him if you could have a clipboard.

(He seemed kind of intimidated by your angry expression.)

(As he should be though.)

-

After overlooking the practice, making an effort not to interact at all with Himari, you found out that perhaps the thing you could best put forward to help this team, was your sharp observation skills. You were by no means a genius, but you certainly had a watchful eye, and had a knack for sensing the atmosphere.

Well... sensing the atmosphere and refraining from speaking, that is.

You had strong opinions for sure, but if you didn't need to talk, you wouldn't. Would be a waste of breath.

The boys began to clean up, and you were left to stew in your own thoughts, sitting on a bench, positioning yourself about a metre away from your new arch-nemesis. You'd determined a couple of factors; Iwaizumi was clearly the future ace of the bunch, Matsukawa and Hanamaki seemed to be a terrifying duo who scared the shit out of upperclassmen, and Oikawa...

Well, Oikawa. He was by no means a talented guy, but he put in more than 100%, and could somehow work out the exact tosses his teammates needed.

It seemed there was more to the boy than his pretty face.

"How did you find it?" the supervising teacher asked, approaching you two managers as the group packed up, "I hope that you guys can keep up with volleyball."

"Oh yes," Himari replied, with a smile. "I did play volleyball in middle school quite a bit. I think (L/n) might have to do some research though."

At her words, your head snapped in her direction, and you shot her a pissed-off stare, your grip on the clipboard in your hands tightening considerably. "I think I'll manage," you spat out, standing up, and brushing down your trousers, then promptly stalking towards the exit of the hall.

"Hey, wait," a voice stopped you in your tracks, and you silently whipped around, glaring menacingly at whoever the fuck wanted you now.

You met gazes with Oikawa, squinting at him, the blinding fluorescent lights reflecting off your glasses, limiting your eyesight. Scanning him from head to toe, you realised he was holding out an Aoba Johsai jacket to you. Everyone else behind him looked on with baited breath, clearly not having the courage to approach you themselves.

"You might not want to be here," he spoke, causing you to stiffen. "But you are now. So, take this, won't you?" he offered you a somewhat sly smile, gesturing to the item of clothing in his grasp.

Rage built up in your stomach at his cocky attitude, and you almost snapped at him, yet you caught an emotion within his eyes; it was definitely over-inflated confidence, but you also saw that he in fact had good intentions.

He was genuinely attempting to make you feel a bit better about being stuck in a job you hadn't wanted to do.

Well, well. Oikawa Tooru truly was more than a pretty face.

You faced him fully, brows knitted, then took a tentative step forwards, and reached out, stretching your arm, not too keen to get close to him. Once you finally got a hold of the fabric, you tugged it away from him, and muttered a half assed 'thank you'.

Then you turned on your heel, and marched out of the gym. You didn't see the way Oikawa's lips stretched further, into a grin, as he saw you pull the jacket over your shoulders.