Chapter 15: Upgrade

Oikawa dated many people, during the time that he had the sheer, unbelievable popularity that he did. It made you feel self-conscious, and insecure; he'd had his fill of significant others, so his bar was probably pretty high.

That was what you'd tried to tell Mattsun and Makki. 

Instead, they'd instated a matchmaking scheme so that Oikawa could confess to you — which you'd deadpanned would never happen, but it wasn't like they'd listen to you. Now, whenever you so much as looked at Oikawa, they'd make kissy faces at you.

It drove you insane, but you knew they probably meant well.

Yet, one time, they couldn't do that, because Oikawa came to practice with his girlfriend.

She was a sweet girl, who you couldn't recall the name of, mostly because you forgot, but she insisted on helping you and Himari pack up after it was home time. None of the other boys had seemed too interested in her presence, especially Iwaizumi, who'd threatened to strangle Oikawa if he brought anymore people to their club.

"What's Oikawa-kun like during practice?" the girl had asked, trailing after you two managers as you pushed the ball cart towards the storage room.

"A pain in the ass who works too hard," Himari responded.

"A stubborn, persistent bastard," you answered.

"Oh..." she stared at you two in wonder, "you're one of the few people I meet who don't like Oikawa-kun."

You stopped, dead in your tracks; had you really given that impression? If so, then you had to correct it, lying to this student would have no good consequences, in particular if she told Oikawa.

(You were already sure he saw you as a friend, and didn't want him to think you hated him.)

"I don't dislike him," you stated. "I think he's a very hard worker, with a flirtatious streak, who needs to give himself more credit."

The girl stared at you in awe, and even Himari raised an eyebrow. "What in fuck's name are you doing?" your fellow manager demanded.

"What?" you argued, "I'm not gonna lie like a republican."

"Good point, but still, didn't know you thought so highly of Mr Milkbread," Himari scoffed. "Sounds a lot like someone's in denial."

"If I weren't doing something right now, I would've tackled you," you hissed, your hands clenching tightly around the bar of the cart.

The girl behind you giggled, and skipped up next to you, with a bright smile, "Don't worry, (L/n)-san! I can understand loving Oikawa-kun."

"Listen, please don't believe I have the same mindset as Oikawa," you mumbled, through gritted teeth. "I do trust and have faith in him," here, Oikawa grinned, before you finished with, "but I do not respect him!"

Oikawa cried out in disbelief/offence, and Himari promptly hit you on the head, muttering, "You and your Jujutsu Kaisen references."

-

"Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that everyone is a piece of shit," you proclaimed, in a small store, sitting on a stool, as Oikawa looked through the clothing items.

"You're really mean, (Y/n)-chan," the brunette pouted at you, trying to make you feel bad.

"I'm not wrong though, am I?" you scoffed, with a self impressed smirk.

Oikawa glanced at you, before softening, and returning your smile; "No, not really," he agreed.

"Yeah, that's what I thought," you responded haughtily, pushing your glasses up your nose.