Chapter 7: Fuck You

Aoba Johsai lost their second tournament that year as well.

Though, perhaps it wasn't as impactful as their first failure, they were still gutted. You could only hope that second year gave them some success.

On the first day back, you inspected the class arrangements, and out of boredom, you also checked who you would be sharing a home room with.

Your blood ran cold when you caught sight of two familiar names; Matsukawa Issei and Hanamaki Takahiro.

(Oh no. Oh god, no.)

"Well, well," an obnoxious voice spoke from behind you, and two elbows rested on each of your shoulders. You instantly recognised that Matsukawa was the one speaking.

"Isn't it great that we're going to be in the same class this year, Grumpy Pants?" Hanamaki remarked slyly, from your other side. 

"Give me strength," you hissed, practically shaking with rage.

"Oh, Himari's also gonna be with us!" Matsukawa commented, gesturing to the board.

A jolt ran through you, and you checked to see if he was correct, and indeed found your arch nemesis' name, right under your own.

You screamed in pain so loudly a teacher thought somebody had died.

School that day was a nightmare, with Matsukawa and Hanamaki making your existence a living hell, not to mention Himari shooting derogatory glares at you the entire time. You felt so exhausted by the pure amount of human interaction you’d had to do that day, but then were subjected to volleyball club.

Let’s just say that Oikawa somehow became incredibly attractive.

You knew he was handsome; but, damn, when he waltzed through the doors of the gym, his chocolate, brown locks styled to utter perfection, his smile wide, his jaw sharper, and his beautiful brown eyes shadowed by his pretty eyelashes alight with passion for his sport, it felt like someone had fucking stabbed you.

What the literal fuck, maybe people did suddenly peak at the age of 16. He somehow seemed much more mature and, umm… gorgeous.

You felt awkward thinking about it, so you turned a blind eye and continued talking with Matsukawa about chicken nuggets.

But of course, fate wasn't that kind to you.

"Hey, (L/n)-chan!" Oikawa immediately rushed over to you, ignoring Iwaizumi's glare of fury at his over excitement. "It's been ages! Have you finally started smiling more?!"

"Back off, Oikawa," Matsukawa warned, unexpectedly wrapped his arm around your own, causing you to stiffen. "Grumpy Pants is my friend and we're having a conversation right now."

"That's pretty possessive of you, Mattsun!" with a pout, Oikawa took a hold of your other arm, and tugged it towards him. "(L/n)-chan is my friend as well!"

"Well we're talking right now so you can leave!"

"What's so important about---"

"Stopping fucking touching me, you dumb pricks," you interrupted, your voice barely above a murmur yet enough to convey your intense annoyance.

Both of the boys instantly let you go, and you stuffed your hands in your pockets, giving them both an unamused glance.

"Ah… sorry for grabbing you so suddenly, (L/n)-chan," Oikawa chuckled meekly, rubbing the back of his head.

"Ditto," Matsukawa admitted, but with a less expressive look.

"Will you ever not act like a touch is going to kill you?" Himari remarked, as she sat down on the nearest bench.

You paused, before rolling up your sleeves; "No, but I know that my fucking touch, or chokehold, could definitely kill you, you presumptuous little fuck---"

"Easy, (L/n)! The new first years will be here and we don't want to make a bad impression!"

-

You didn't want to confess it, but you liked two of the new first years a lot.

Yahaba Shigure was this somewhat shy, reserved boy, who was clearly a bit awkward, but definitely had a good grip on the sport at hand.

Watari Shinji was also another quiet one, who just gave off the vibes of that one poor, poor boy who'd eternally suffer throughout his time here.

Please note that you said two. 

There was one more first year who joined; and boy oh boy, did he rub you the wrong way.

Kyoutani Kentaro was a fucking bitch.

He disrespected the third years, had no sense of teamwork, and was basically just a wild dog. It was almost impressive how defiant and self centred he was.

Ok, you could understand his short temper, since you clearly struggled with that as well but, damn it, the bastard was so rude it made you feel tame.

The last straw was when he shouted at the team's official setter for not giving him the correct toss, then labelled said setter useless.

(And it had been a perfectly decent toss, by the way.)

You lost it at that point, and stood up from your bench. "Hey, you dumb fuck!" you yelled across the court at him, fist clenched in rage.

He whipped around to you with a snarl, his eyes full of unrestrained anger, now looking directly at you.

"Don't talk to him like that," you snapped, "you jumped at entirely the wrong time, you asshole. Quit acting like you're some kind of fucking genius; you're damn pathetic if you blame others for your mistakes."

"Don't give your input if you know nothing about volleyball, you interfering piece of shit!" Kyoutani snarled in response, and you practically bristled.

Well, it seemed as if you'd finally met your match.

"Well I can say I know more than you if you play as crappy as that," you retorted, taking a step forward.

The entire gym watched in terrified anticipation as two of the most hot headed people in the school slung insults at each other.

"(L/n), that's enough---" Himari tried to protest, but you were quick to silence her with a hand to her face.

"If you think you're hot shit you've got another thing coming, you bitch," Kyoutani spat. "You think you're so fucking clever, but you probably don't have a clue about volleyball or anything apart from yourself."

"Speak for yourself, you whore," you took another step in his direction. "You think you're the next big pro volleyball star or something? Oh you poor, stupid kid; you're really up your own ass."

At that, Kyoutani lost his shit, and literally charged at you, tackling you into the bench, and then delivered a resounding punch to your face. All too eager to teach him a lesson, you grabbed his arm, and threw him into the floor next to you, kneeing him in the stomach.

In no time at all, the both of you were just a tangle of limbs, yelling swear words, and beating the literal shit out of each other.

The shouts in the background from your peers was just white noise, as you and Kyoutani slammed each other to the ground, and left bruises all over the other. 

You didn't even remember being pulled away from him; all you recalled was the stinging pain in your right eye, your cracked glasses, and the boiling, steaming fury still coursing through your veins.