Where Did It All Go Wrong?

“Well aren’t you girls just having fun, hmm?” a feminine voice inquired from above the three girls who were currently playing with their dolls on the floor.

Bonnie stopped playing only to turn around and see her mother standing to the side with Kol next to her.

No matter what happened before with Katherine, Bonnie still thought Kol was very strange. She couldn’t explain how but there was something off about him.

Caroline interrupted Bonnie's musings by jumping up from where she was seated. She giggled excitedly, holding her doll in her arms. “Miss lady! Papa bought this for me when he got back from one of his trips. Isn’t she pretty?”  

Both adults chuckled at her antics. Bonnie’s mother came closer to the doll, reaching out to rub her fingers through its blonde hair. “Its very beautiful Caroline. I’m sure your Papa thought of you when he bought it. You even look just alike!” she gasped

Her statement caused Caroline to squeal and turn red as she covered her face with her doll. “You mean it? I'm pretty like her?!”

That had Katherine rolling her eyes, only to look up and see Kol giving her a disapproving look.

Bonnie's mother knelt down in front of Caroline, giving the excited five-year old a warm smile. “I’m sure. Now my little girl, Bonnie, got her doll from her father before he went away. She carries her everywhere she goes. Even outside.”

Caroline was entranced. The thought of taking the toy outside appealed to her since she and Katherine weren’t allowed to at home. Their father didn’t want their dolls to get broken or dirty.

The porcelain figurines that were held by the sisters were explicitly crafted to match each girl, including the many outfits they had. Right now the dolls were wearing the exact same dresses and hats or bows Katherine and Caroline were dressed in. They were also incredibly expensive.

Turning to gaze up at Kol, Caroline put on her best pleading face, batting her eyes. “Please Papa? Can I take my dolly outside when we get home? Bonnie's goes on adventures and everything! Please, please, pleeaasseee?”

Hearing how adorable his daughter sounded, the vampire chuckled and ran his fingers through Caroline's hair. “We will talk about it later, darling. But…”

Kol crouched down to level with her, looking Caroline straight in the eye as he held a finger up. “There will be no more taking them outside if One: They get dirty or broken. Or Two: If they are lost. Understood?” he raised his eyebrows, tapping his daughter on the nose playfully.

This made Caroline scrunch her face and giggle. Leaping into her father's arms, she hugged him tight with him returning it. “Thank you Papa! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!”

Kissing the top of the little vampire's head after he let her go, Kol smiled fondly. Glancing over to the side, he spied Bonnie's mother almost about to tear up at his display of affection.

Perfect.

It seemed as though she was already falling for him. This was making his plan too easy! Kol could almost hear wedding bells now!

He shook his head dismissing the fantasy. Becoming too eager would prove to be a fatal flaw in his plan. Sitting back and waiting would set him on the correct course for what he wanted.

No matter how long it took or who Kol had to sacrifice, it would be his!

“My lord?” a soft voice spoke next to him, making the vampire stare down at the little witch tugging on his pants leg.