Royal Growing Pains

(Meanwhile, in another part of the kingdom…)

“Prince Jeremy, slow down! I can’t keep up!”

Hoof beats thundered through the forest as two horses swiftly ran amongst the trees. Two young men were atop them, laughing and shouting happily.

Well one of them anyway.

The brown-haired man known as Jeremy, rode his white horse while laughing loudly, turning his head to search for his friend behind him.

“Well Matt, you’d better hurry up! I keep telling you my horse is faster but you never listen! Right Valerie?”

Valerie neighed happily in response.
Her eyes gleamed mischievously, causing her to flatten her ears and gallop faster through the forest. Holding on tight to the reins, the prince felt the change in speed, letting out another joyful shout. The wind rippled through his brown coat and the white long-sleeved shirt underneath, chilling his skin.

Behind them, the blonde-haired man known as Matt wearing a black shirt of similar fashion and a silver vest, attempted to keep up. Unfortunately he wasn’t as skilled a horseman as the prince, so he fell behind easily.

Cursing under his breath for never being able to keep up, Matt urged his grey horse faster. “Come on Isobel. Let's go girl!”

Their surroundings blurred around them, both picking up the pace while leaping over streams and underbrush. Each time Matt would close in on Jeremy, the prince would kick Valerie's sides so he was always ahead.

Sometimes branches would be in the way, but Jeremy ducked just barely so it hit Matt in the face.

Matt began to get frustrated at his master and friend. Clenching his teeth in determination, he squeezed Isobel's sides harder, veering off to the side where Jeremy lost sight of him.

Nearing a large waterfall, Valerie neighed and stopped suddenly. This confused Jeremy who patted her neck, leaning to stare at the small river that was easy to cross. She had always jumped it before with no problem. He chuckled, thinking she was trying to be funny.

“Okay, come on Val. Quit messing around.” Jeremy dug in his heels, trying to get her to move.

Shaking her head, Valerie dug her
hooves in the dirt, not moving an inch. Her nostrils flared as her ears flattened while she looked around the river warily.

Jeremy began to grow tired of her fooling around so he kicked her sides once more in an effort to get Valerie to jump. “Don’t tell me you've gotten scared now.”

A loud shout came from the waterfall beside them, causing both horse and rider to perk up just in time to see a shadow from inside the falling water running really fast.

Crash!

A blur of gray and blonde crashed through the water, leaping over Jeremy and Val, landing safely on the other side. Water droplets rained down on the surprised prince when he turned to see Matt on top of Isobel, a cheeky smirk on the soldier's face.

“I guess this means I win?”

X

The sun began to set on Jeremy and Matt while the two made their way along the wooded path home. They rode beside each other, talking and making jokes while birds flew up in the trees, getting ready to roost.

Shades of red and gold light filtered through the leaves, glinting in Jeremy's eyes as he ran his hand through his hair. Matt stared at his friend, his expression transforming from smiles to his mouth forming a small frown.