Chapter 2

Eden sat crossed legged on a chair and started eating.

God, was she ravenous. She never understood how people could skip meals and still continue living like a normal human.

As far as she knew, people who loved to eat were the best people.

Her friends joined her, sitting around the circular table, Felicity taking the initiative to wipe down the moist surface.

"Ew, rain. I'm getting sprinkled" Nikita scrunched her face in mock disgust as she unwrapped her sandwich."

"Well what else is it meant to do, keep you dry?" Lei bit into a cherry tomato as Nikita rolled her eyes and started eating.

"You're so mean, Lei, but you do have a point. Nik, if it didn't rain, we wouldn't have all this beautiful fresh greenery surrounding us, would we?"

Felicity stood up, clutching her container with one hand as she gestured to the forest landscape behind them with the other. She popped a cherry tomato into her mouth before waving in a wild frenzy at the misty rain and dew ridden plants.

"As the great John Muir once said, The clearest way into a universe is through a forest universe"

She poked her tongue out at the trio still seated, who were groaning and shaking their heads, although it was apparent they were trying hard not to laugh.

"You are definitely quite the scholar aren't you Flick?

Eden laughed out loud before gesturing over to Felicity's direction.

"She's too smart for her own good, I'm telling you. We need to do something about it."

Eden leaned into the table, forming a huddle of the three girls as they semi whispered.

Lei shook her head theatrically before joining in.

"I never did like her, too much of a good influence on me"

A smirk appeared on Nikita's face as she leaned closer, her hand cupped over the side of her mouth as she talked.

"Me neither. We should revolt against her"

The whispering stopped as a cherry tomato bounced off Lei's head.

"I can hear you, y'know." Felicity's voice was one of unamusement as she glared at each of the girls.

"Hear what?"

Eden snickered with Nik as Lei rubbed her head.

"Yea, we were simply talking about how you're our future and about how much we love you, right Eden?"

"Right"

"Well fine then. But don't expect me to help you with your business excel chart or english assignment-"

"Oh my god no Flick we're sorry"

The trio spoke in unison as they all feigned respect.

The shouts of the girls and the bounce of cherry tomatoes hitting flesh died down as the sliding glass doors to the library patio opened and 3 people walked in.

"You guys are so irresponsible, why are there cherry tomatoes everywhere?"

Hong walked in clutching a chess board that he soon put down, Nevi following him as she looked at her phone.

Upbeat music followed them inside, Lillian half walking half dancing towards them.

Hong dragged another circular table around where the other girls were seated, swiping a stray tomato from a seat before sitting down and setting the game pieces onto the board.

"What actually even happened here?" Nevi questioned as she sat down next to Lillian, kicking another tomato with her foot and pausing the music that Lillian was still jamming to.

"Ask Flick, Nev, it was all her" Eden packed away her remaining food before resuming her cross legged position, leaning over to Nikita and peering at her screen.

"Blame everything on the innocent one. Right. I see now." Flick feigned hurt, before turning to Hong.

"Who are you gonna play with?"

"Idk yet, any of you wanna play with me?"

Everybody shook their heads and Hong groaned.

"Sorry Hong, ATEEZ just released a new dance cover and we gotta see it" Nikita propped her phone onto the table so that Eden had a clear view.

"Fine then." His dismay was short lived however, as he stood up and ran inside the library, before hastily returning, dragging a figure with him outside.

"Lucas. Bestie. Want to play chess with me?"

At the mention of his name, Eden looked up from the dance video and smiled. It was the same guy she found interesting that morning.

Lucas shrugged and sat down opposite to Eden, Hong sitting right next to her and placing the chess board down. The neatly kept pieces clattered to the floor as the board was placed down onto the surface roughly.

Eden bent down to pick them up, her eyes meeting Lucas' again as they both quickly picked up the pieces.

Nevi spoke up as they remained crouched on the floor.

"Oh, You guys know each other?"

Hong moved a pawn and spoke.

"Yea, we went to the same school a while back"

"Oh"

The chess game resumed, and Eden sat back down on her chair. She danced to the music with Nikita but her mind kept wandering. For some reason, the thought of this Lucas person was stuck in her head.

The way his grey eyes suddenly had more darkness than any brown eyes that she had ever seen before.