Chapter 3

There is a kind of sweetness that brings real life to this world, that turns every Pinocchio into a real boy. I wasn't perfect before we met. But you made me real in a way I never knew was possible. And after.

After.

My blood ran cold.

The night sky is how he came to wish to fly. It was the most beautiful art, alive with raw energy, a song for the eyes. At times he felt as if he could feel it vibrating somehow, whispering in a way that the ears of others couldn't hear. It felt friendly, when the world was full of people who felt so devoid of love.

Lucas reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone, the glint of metal refracting with the light of the yellowy street lights.

1:07am

He shivered a little and glanced back out into the night, rubbing his right forearm.

It was getting colder. Soon he would have to take a jacket with him.

As he was about to head back inside quietly, the sensation of something winding between his legs startled him, and he fell landing with a thud on the rough pathway.

He looked at the grey cat that was skulking towards him once again.

After the momentary shock, a small smile spread across his face as he sat cross legged on the pavement, gingerly holding his hand out in hopes of ushering the cat towards him.

"Yuki," He whispered to the cat.

"I missed you"

Eden awoke to the steady patter of rain upon her window, the droplets yet to scatter the nascent rays of rising sun.

She rolled over in her bed and hunted down her phone, fumbling in what little light the unrisen sun gave her.

4:30am

As she silently pulled on her raincoat, the sound of the rain brought a calmness to her mind, a soothing melody that was often so rare to come by.

It was why she loved dawn so much.

Eden cringed as the window clicked open, careful not to alert her parents that she was leaving. She climbed out, careful not to make too much noise, before landing with a light thud on the gravel outside her window.

The rain pattered ever so lightly against the coat, her head weighed down slightly as a mini puddle formed on the yellow hood that she pulled over her head.

The roof wasn't the most comfortable place on earth. But it was hers.

She sat on the slippery tiles, shivering slightly in the drizzle.

It was getting colder.

Eden thought about a lot of things as she watched the sun rise. It wasn't very uncommon for her to slip into her bed and fall back asleep, moisture that wasn't caused by the rain soaking into her pillowslip.

"Both of you, it's the 4th time this week. And it's a Thursday. How many times are you going to miss your alarm?"

Mr Parker frowned at the two students, both of them hanging their heads and staring at the floor. One of them, he wasn't sure about. But the other one, he knew for sure was not sorry. He would deal with that one in due time.

"Lei. Got anything to say?"

"I'm very sorry sir, i'll get more sleep tonight and i'll get to school moderately early tomorrow i swear."

"Good, you better act on your words tonight. Now Lei, because you're feeling remorseful, you can leave. Eden, stay here."

After regretfully waving goodbye to her friend, Eden stared back down at the ground. She had, in fact, missed her alarm that morning. It wasn't her fault her secret morning rendezvous often left her in the mood to sleep.

"Eden, must I really tell you again? I-"

Parker was interrupted by the sound of the door opening. He stood back, inspected the boy standing there, and tutted. Why was it always these two that were brought to him?

"Lucas, I called you in here to talk about how late you are, and you showed up late."

He sighed, before he noticed the poorly applied bandaid on Lucas's arm.

"What happened to you? Look, it's bleeding again. Go to the office and get another one"

Lucas shrugged before explaining how the bandaid was, in fact, from the office.

Parker sighed again. How cruel could the world get?

"You know what, both of you are excused for now. But to make up for the class time you missed this week, I expect you to serve detention tomorrow, and all of next week. Lucas, try and fix up that bandaid."

Lucas shrugged again. Parker walked clean out the door.

Before Lucas could leave as well, Eden called him back.

"Hey, I have some band aids you can use, want one? Your one is kinda falling off."

Lucas started to walk away before she called him back again.

"I insist."

Lucas allowed himself to be taken in the direction of the lockers, as he followed Eden. She had long hair. Longer than any he had seen. It was kept in a ponytail that reached past her lower back and it swished as she walked in front.

When she finally stopped walking, he realised that his locker was only a few spaces down.

"Here you are, you can do it yourself, right?"

He nodded and peeled the sticker back, before placing it lousily on his arm.

The childish 'princess' themed bandage fell to the floor.

Eden laughed and picked up the bandaid, throwing it away.

"You're worse at this than I am"

Without giving Lucas room to protest, she grabbed a water bottle, kleenex and another bandaid from her locker, proceeding to softly grab his arm and gently wipe it with a damp tissue.

He watched as she peeled the bandaid and placed it on his skin, smoothing it down with her fingers carefully so it wouldn't hurt.

She had some really cold hands. It was the start of Autumn, but it wasn't that cold out.

He inspected his arm when she was finished, and although rather wonky looking, it held.

When he came to school the next morning, there was a box of bandaids sitting on top of his locker.