Chapter 5 ~ Lei

This chapter is dedicated to my darling friend, who's my literal soulmate. Through thick and thin, keep shining lee lee💛

On some days, she just never felt like speaking.

And it's not like she's particularly sad on those days. It's just that sometimes, she preferred to live deep in her own head, watching the way light hit peoples faces, or how that one girl in her English class always took a deep, audible breath before saying the answer.

Lei was having one of those days.

No, she was having one such week. It was her second week at this new school, new settings, people, faces and mannerisms she needed to get used to. She actually went the first day without uttering a single word to anyone. On her second day she met Felicity and they talked in the classes they had, although she still remained quiet in those classes she was alone in. She moved with the crowd, spending her lunch breaks with Felicity for that first week. Flick was new too, so both eventually just befriended each other.

Year 9 was going...alright, she decided.

The bell for lunch rang, and Lei followed Felicity once again. Felicity talked to her, expressing her interest in the drama class she previously had.

"It was so fun, Lei! I was the character of the noblewomen, it was funny trying to attempt a posh accent. You should join it as an elective!"

Lei shook her head, sitting down on the concrete bench that the group of girls she sat with used as a seat. It was in front of the massive 'Rosewood' library, surrounded by ornate bricks that let light filter through and envelope the place when it was sunny. The outside was polished, looking mighty fine as the new building in town. The occasional seniors walked past them, chattering amongst themselves.

Taking out her phone, she started picking at the new crack on the screen, which she had collected that morning. She eventually stopped, scrolling through her instagram feed as the voices around her formed a sort of background. She talked a bit to Felicity, although it was mainly their argument of whether Lei should join drama as an elective or not.

She switched her seating position, battling off flicks arguments and standing her ground. A loud shriek caused them both to look away from the conversation. It was one of the girls, Emily? Was that her name? Looked like she had been playfully thumped on the head by the girl next to her.

As Felicity launched into the debate again, a voice caught both their attention.

"Guys, I got a new puppy! Wanna see?"

Felicity, looking excited, stood up. Lei, not wanting to be left out, stood up too, walking toward the blonde girl that had spilled the news to them. As she followed Felicity's back, she was knocked back by the 'Emily' girl, who, deep in conversation, had stepped back. Lei felt a pain in her foot, before realising that the girl had stepped on her.

The girl shrieked a string of apologies, Lei reassuring her she was alright. She felt a little taken aback by the sheer amount of apology she was getting.

"I'm so sorry! I actually am so sorry!"

Lei once again told her she was alright.

"Let me make it up to you. I'm going to buy you garlic bread.'

Before she could protest, she was being semi dragged away, towards the place that she assumed was somewhere food could be purchased.

"I am once again, so sorry. My names, Eden by the way. Eden Agarwal."

Ah. Eden. She was close, but no cigar.

"My name is Lei Ming. I would offer a nickname but..."

Eden laughed, guiding her towards the tuckshop. They chatted the entire way and back, Lei feeling somewhat appeased. The hot bread was carried in her hat, placed in front of her as she sat down on the concrete once again.

"Eden, you really didn't need to-"

"I wanted to. Can't stop me." Eden plopped down next to her, inviting over the other girl she was talking to before to sit down as well. Eden smiled at her, encouraging her to eat.

"Lee Lee. Be my friend?