seventeen

"Wonwoo?"

"What is it?"

"How are things with you and Jun?"

"Uh," Wonwoo struggled, "I don't know." He shrugged.

"Why don't you know?" Minghao questioned as they walked towards their weekly outing journey.

"I don't know, I guess, something awkward just happened and we just strayed away from one another."

"What happened?" Minghao stopped walking as he waited for Wonwoo's answer.

"Well," Wonwoo scratched his head as he smiled guiltily, "I'm sorry." He bowed.

"What are you sorry for? You did nothing wrong!" Minghao panicked.

"I know I promised you that I'd set you up with Jun! But-" Wonwoo stuttered, "-He confessed to me the other night." Looking away, unable to meet Minghao's eyes after admitting to what happened.

"It's not your fault-"

"It's mine! I shouldn't have hung around him so much! If I hadn't, you would've been with him by now!" Wonwoo tugged on Minghao's clothes.

"Hey, it's alright. It wouldn't change a thing if he never liked me from the start." Minghao assured.

"Minghao..." Wonwoo called as he placed a hand on his shoulder, "I don't know if this would make you cheer up but-"

"What is it?" Minghao asked, being extremely aware of what's happened around the both of them as tension bc grew thick between them.

"-I don't have feelings for Jun, I can assure that." Wonwoo crossed his arms to make an 'X'.

Minghao looks over guiltily to the side, "I guess that's true as well... Since the summer tournament happened between-"

"Don't mention that please," Wonwoo begged of Minghao, "I know that there's nothing more I could do to amend what has happened, and-" Wonwoo felt his heart shake as he thought of what could've been if they had successfully won. "-Besides, there are more important things to do than to do that." Wonwoo shrugged.

"Right," Minghao stuttered before continuing to walk alongside Wonwoo, "Do you have any plans after this summer?"

Wonwoo cocked his head to the side, "What do you mean?"

"Have you thought of where you're headed to?"

Wonwoo sighs, "I honestly still don't know where I'm headed for sure, but I do have a few universities in mind."

"Woah, really?"

Wonwoo nodded, "I just hope I could start anew there," He stretches his arms in the air, before resting them behind his neck as he leaned back. "Where nobody knows me, ya know?"

"I get you, but, what about Jun?"

"That's up to him, where he wants to go. It's not for me to butt in." Wonwoo shrugged, "I don't even know if we'd be able to go back as being normal friends anyway."

"I'll be going back," Minghao's tone had lowered as he stared at he ground as they neared their destination, "I don't know if I'd be able to keep in touch with you-"

"What are you saying? Of course, we would. I'd write letters to you if I had to!"

Minghao chuckles awkwardly, "Yeah, I suppose we would."

Wonwoo smiles an assuring smile, "C'mon, the ice rink is just around the corner."

"Right," Minghao coughed, following behind Wonwoo as the other led the way.

"C'mon, Minghao, don't think of the situation any longer. There's nothing between me and Jun," Wonwoo encouraged, "My heart's with-" He struggled to say, looking away as he tried his best to voice out the words. "-Someone else."

"I know, I'm just... A little worried for what's going to happen to the both of you, ya know?" Minghao admitted.

"I don't know where the friendship would head but I'm sure that whatever happens, I would still insist that the person having my heart now, to still keep it." Wonwoo confessed.

"I admire you, Wonwoo." Minghao said in a low tone, unable to look Wonwoo in the eyes as the other was lacing up his skates.

"What was that?" Wonwoo asked for clarification once more.

"I admire you," Minghao mumbled once more.

"Why is that so?"

Minghao grit his teeth and balled his fist as he furrowed his brows together, obvious that he was frustrated at himself, "Because- Because- You could still keep your feelings for the person even though they showed that they don't want you anymore!" He widened his eyes and he slapped both his hands to his lips, realizing what he had said out loud after everyone's attention turned to them.

Wonwoo smiled guiltily, "I guess you're right," Unable to look up at Minghao from his seat, not wanting to show the others his face.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to get mad at you like-"

"No, it's fine. You're right."

"No, I'm wrong for-"

"I've always thought that maybe, if I kept these feelings, perhaps then, when he returns, it would've been returned."

"But it's obvious that it wouldn't happen, so I'm going to leave it as it is." Wonwoo added.

"Because- Because- You could still keep your feelings for the person even though they showed that they don't want you anymore!"

Mingyu widened his eyes as he was walking around the ice rink. He paused for a moment while the words rung in his ears, it was no doubt that that was Minghao's voice, Wonwoo's best friend, who said that.

"Are you okay?" Mina waved her hand in front of Mingyu's face, snapping him out of his little daze, "You seem troubled..."

"No, I'm just- Thinking about stuff," Mingyu managed to lie as he waved it off, Mina then tightened her hold on his arm as they continued walking.

"If there's anything on your mind, you know you could always tell me." She assured as she leaned her head on his arm.

"I know," But somehow, Mingyu felt strange about what Minghao had shouted out. His heart begun to shake with excitement as he registered them.

'You could still keep your feelings for the person even though they showed that they don't want you anymore, huh.' Mingyu thought as Mina had brought him along with her shopping journey, looking for the perfect hair accessories for the summer tournament's cheer.

"You better win the summer tournament! I'm the one cheering for you." Mina warned jokingly.

Mingyu chuckled, "Right."

'You better win the summer tournament, Jeon.'