14

Sailing around with a band full of pirates wasn't as intimidating as Catherine had first thought. Pirates were just like regular people, not like uncontrollable monsters as everyone made them to be. While they did lack intelligence for the most part, they made up for it in heart and entertainment.

While out at sea, they encountered a horrible storm, nearly making her fall off the side of the side of the ship. Some of Jack's new crew went out of their way to check on her, make sure she, and the ship, were safe and secure.

These men were nothing like the men on Tortuga.

She didn't doubt they acted like how men do on the horrible island, but once off of it and into their positions, they were decent human beings.

Now, she was finally able to settle the built up tension in her body and relax.

Out of all the crew, Anamaria was a person Catherine absolutely adored.

She was almost just like Catherine in a way. Bold, daring, sharp-witted, she was like Catherine's twin.

And that terrified the entire crew, especially Jack.

The pirate had walked in on the sitting below deck at a table talking and laughing together, making him freeze and pray to the heavens to protect them if they ever banded together.

The conversation today had to be cut short for Catherine and Anamaria. The pirate had to duties to do, leaving Catherine to wander back to Will's side for the day.

~

The thick fog settled into the ominous environment as the ship silently sailed through the shipwrecks that rested in and out of the ocean.

"Dead man tell no tales." Mr. Cotton's parrot repeated into the fog, sending a chill down Catherine's shoulders and spine.

The crew leaned against the side of the ship, looking over the railing in silence at the sight before them.

"Puts a chill to the bones how many honest sailors have been claimed by this passage," Mr. Gibbs' voice barely coming over a whisper. The man turned and walked into the heart of the deck, Will and Catherine sharing a looking before following after him.

"How is it that Jack came by that compass?" Will questioned.

A compass that doesn't point north but takes you exactly where you want to go.

That question had been circling Catherine's mind as well.

Mr. Gibbs began to tighten the ropes. "Not a lot's known about Jack before he showed up in Tortuga with a mind to find the treasure of the Isla de Muerta. That had been before I met him when he captained the Black Pearl."

That made Catherine and Will whip around to look at Mr. Gibbs.

"What?" Will questioned, making Mr. Gibbs' eyes bug out as he took a long drink from his flask.

Catherine suspiciously crossed her arms over her chest, furrowing her brows. "He left that small detail out."

She turned her head to look up at Jack at the helm as Mr. Gibbs spoke, "He plays things closer to the vest now. A hard-learned lesson it was."

Will and Catherine looked at Mr. Gibbs.

"See three days on the venture, the first mate comes to him and says, "Everything's an equal share. That means the location of the treasure too." So Jack gives up the bearings. That night there was a mutiny. They marooned Jack on an island and left him to die, but not before he'd gone mad with the heat."