Chapter 1: Black and White

Sabrina's Pov:
    The grey sky above me, nothing below me, and the wind all around me... I was falling and yet I felt at peace for a moment. Until reality set in... WHY WAS I FALLING? What was happening to me?
      I continued to fall as I screamed for help. I screamed and I screamed at the top of my lungs, still falling. But, no help came. Why was no one saving me?

In an anxiety filled panic, I struggled and fought with my inner self until I was able to force myself awake. Shooting straight up, I leaned forward in my bed, resting my elbows on my propped up knees. The first thing I noticed was that I was drenched in sweat... Gross and not exactly how I wanted to start my third year at Hogwarts. Wow, my third year... I thought about that for a brief second, I guess it was kind of cool. Well, it would be, every year would be cool... if only my last name wasn't the exact opposite of my house...
With a heavy sigh I flipped my seemingly heavy covers off in a neat-ish fashion and swung my legs over the side of my large bed. I took a minute to just sit there and collect my thoughts. I know it was harder said than done. But, was I really ready for yet another year full of questions about my name, my house, and worst of all... my family? Was I ready to get mocked and yelled at when I didn't give a simple black or white answer? The next deep breath I took confirmed the answer I already knew to be true. I was without a doubt zero percent ready.
But, I guess I would try anyway... "Slytherins DO NOT quit!" My father's voice rang out true, clear, and ever loud in my pounding head. Yep, thanks dad. Got it. We don't quit, we just lose our minds slowly while trying to succeed and be the best. His voice was harsh, even in my head, and it was most certainly not what I needed.
      Looking up from my ghost white knuckles clutching the edge of my bed for dear life, I was once again face to face with a sun soaked elaborate room. I loved my big beautiful single room... most of the time. But, only because I liked to be alone. So, thank goodness Hogwarts finally came to their senses and finally decided to assign students rooms for the entirety of their journey at the school or else someone might think I was crazy. And who knows.... Maybe I was, or am. I mean, for magic's sake I was in a refurbished tower room which my dear caring parents had paid Hogwarts to assign me.
        I wasn't sure who the room had once belonged to, but they must have also been a lonely soul with parents as loving as mine. Still, I had never found any trace of the rooms' previous occupant and in my two years here no one could or would tell me anything. But, I knew there had to be a previous tenant, it's not like it was built just for me. I didn't understand why that person's identity was such a secret or why it was a big deal. I just wanted to know who else had parents that felt their child needed to be isolated and why. On the other hand, I knew that of I spent too much time thinking about it, I'd never get anything else done.
"Of course you're crazy my dear. Why would you think otherwise?" Annnddd, there it was. My mother's "sweet" voice. Not even 10:00 in the morning and I was already scratching at skin and digging my nails into my wrist.
The searing pain motivated me to get up and finally do something with myself. If I wasn't productive in some way I would surly spend the whole day locked in my room and inside my own head. My room way spacious enough that I shouldn't become claustrophobic or anything... However, it still couldn't lead to anything good I'm sure, and I didn't feel like visiting the hospital wing before the first day. With that dark thought locked in my dark mind I released my nails from my skin and began a simple get ready routine.
Tomorrow... the first day, the day that the new First Years would arrive, or as my boyfriend Hayden called them, "young bloods". The thought made me smile slightly. They were all so full of life and hope. Along with a strong eagerness to learn. I thought of those new students as I dressed for the day. I slipped on a simple pair of Jean shorts, a green v neck tshirt, and my favorite grey high tops. I skipped the whole robe thing since school hadn't technically started and went with a long grey cardigan instead, just to hide the marks.
        Before leaving my room I stood in front door of my large oak vanity, staring into the mirror. Although it wasn't my own reflection that I saw. It was an in color version of the guy I'd been seeing in my series of black and white dreams. The mans had piercing blue eyes, ones where you could actually feel an icy chill. His jawline could cut glass. And, the smirk on his face, oh the smirk... it would probably bring most girls to their knees. Quickly I turned away. Throwing my hair up into a high ponytail and grabbing my bag, and Holland (my sweet hedgehog) I ran for the door. Although, when my large door swung open I can face to face with a smiling Hayden.
I clutched my chest from the shock I was currently feeling. As I let out a gasp, Holland squeaked from her place on shoulder while her tiny nails dug into me. Hayden laughed and tapped Holland on the nose. I laughed as her face scrunched up. "Hello to you too my two gorgeous girls." He smiled brightly at me.
"That wasn't very nice of you my dear" I responded to his greeting as I playfully whacked his shoulder. He just laughed once more. God, I loved his laugh. It was one of the few things that kept me sane. My sweet Hayden Maxwell Hufflepuff. Like me, he'd also not been put into the house that bore his family name. But, he was incredibly smart and made one hell of a Ravenclaw. Plus, I doubt that his family minded the way mine did. They were pretty easy going.
I turned my back to him once more, but only momentarily. I closed my door and dropped the large key to said door inside my deep bag. Turning to kiss Hayden, I then ran off without another word.
I knew he wouldn't have been confused or upset by that, with how smart he was Hayden definitely knew where I was headed. He did know me better than anyone else. Hayden was one of the few people that knew where I spent the majority of my time. It was the new music hall which Hogwarts had built after my parents had donated another very large amount of money. At first it bothered me that the only reason they donated the money was to get the music hall, which would ensure my attendance at the school... But, on the other hand I saw the music hall and I guess they say the rest is history...
On the Broadway size stage there sat a grand piano. That was one of my favorite things about it. My other favorite part included the spotlights. I enjoyed turning a single light on and belting out random notes that flowed together beautifully somehow. Not to mention, with the spotlight on me, I finally received the attention I never got from my family.
Other than Hayden's arms, I felt most comfortable and safe on this stage. I felt brave and more life myself before the voices in my head had started. I took a long pause accompanied by a deep sigh. I really thought about that girl, the me whom I used to be. That girl was strong, powerful, and confident. But, most importantly she wasn't mentally unstable.
Sometimes I really missed her... But, enough about the old me. I walked up the stairs towards the piano. I felt my shoulders automatically go back and my spine straightened. Setting Holland atop the grand piano, I knelt down at the bench to look inside for my sheet music of choice for the day. To me, it felt more like the kind of day to hit the keys, instead of a singing day. As I rummaged through the many pieces I had stored in here, I thought about my family, most importantly my mother.
If it weren't for her, or the rest of them for that matter, I would still be the same girl I had thought of before. But, if I were her my music would have suffered. However, I'm not, so it hasn't. I shrugged off the wretched memories that closed my brain as I dug deeper into the bench. Usually it was clean and so organized, just the way I'd left it previously. This time a cloud of dust continued to puff out at me. Coughing heavily I shooed the dust away one last time.
"Well that's odd..." I whispered to myself as I saw what was laying in front of my eyes. It appeared to be a very worn, torn, and grossly yellow piece of sheet music. In other words it was really old and smelly. Kind of musty too... But still, it intrigued me. Holding my breath, I pulled the ancient looking piece and held it out in front of me. Before looking through it I took a quick glance at the cover, scanning over the hard to read writing. At the top of the page I was able to make out a bit of writing... "the song of the snake: S.s.S"....
I leaned back to sit on my butt as I began to flip through the pencil mark covered pages. The music notes were still legible somehow. Trying to make out some of the side comments on the pages, most weren't as legible as others, I began to think about the initials from the front. I'm sure there were other people besides all first born children in my family that received the triple S. It had to be a coincidence.
I laughed a very unconvincing laugh to no one but myself. Closing the bench with the piece in my fingers, I took one more glance at the writing and doodles in the upper corners. The initials, along with the many snake doodles made it much less of a coincidence. Add in how old the paper appeared and the only rational explanation was that it once belonged to my ancestor. Salazar, the founder of House Slytherin.
I felt the anger within me begin to stir as the feeling of being the family disappointment loomed over me. Clenching my fists tightly once more, I closed my eyes and counted to ten mentally. The majority of me didn't want to believe what I was already thinking. I wanted to think more rationally, but was there a more rational conclusion to be found?
When I finally opened my eyes I rose from the stage floor. I brushed the dust off my legs and sat myself in the middle of the bench. Taking a deep breath, I placed the music on the stand in front of me, opened to the first page. As I did such I took note of my nails, they looked atrocious. I looked over and made eye contact with Holland.
"Girl, I gotta do my nails tonight." I rubbed her quills as I spoke to her. I knew she couldn't really understand me but sometimes I liked to think that she could. It only helped that she often would squeak in response. "And, of course that means nothing to you because you're a hedgehog and you can't understand me..." I sighed deeply.
       Opening the music on the stand before my eyes, I carefully studied the notes as I scanned over the first few lines. There were only notes, no words, like most of the pieces I kept, so this wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me. Delicately I placed my long boney fingers upon the keys. I ran them over the first few I would need, gaining a familiar feeling of things. From what I could tell the first three or so lines were a simple mixture of the same few notes. And then I began...
        As I moved into my passion, my body began to move with the music. My fingers danced over the keys ever so gracefully as the elegant sounds began to fill my ears. I knew that most judged me for how "into the music" I got, but when the sound moved me the way it did, I just couldn't find a fuck to give. The way it made me feel brought light into my dark soul. It made me happier than anything else. It made me feel like I wasn't completely alone.
       Every so often my eyes would meet the page above my hands, only to study the next few lines. Or I would glance up to my familiar who sat there in peace with her eyes closed and a small smile on her sweet face. Then, once again the passion inside of me would take over, my eyes would close, and I'd become lost in the sound all over again. Sure, sometimes I felt crazy from how great the sound made me feel inside. But, when I sang or played, I was happy. It gave me a high I never wanted to come down from. The piano was definitely my favorite to play, though I knew how to play other instruments.
        However this time felt different. As I played, something in the air around me felt off. I had never played this particular piece before, and though my usuals were dark, this one was just plain... eerie. It had more of spooky hypnotic type of sound. I didn't mind though, it made me feel more like how I thought I should feel as a Slytherin. If I was right before, my ancestor sure did know how to write a good piece. But still, I couldn't deny the intense lack of comfort I felt as my fingers continued to glide over the keys.
        As I reached the end of the piece I placed my hands flat, palm down on my thighs in a resting position. I let out a deep breath, one I'd been holding in for the entire duration of the song. "That's probably enough for today." I spoke to no one other than myself and Holland. I stood and quickly put the sheet away. Gathering my belongings and holding Holly in my hands gently, I began to make my exit. I held her in one hand and began to text Hayden that I was done with the other as I walked. Until the faint sound of clapping stopped me dead in my tracks.
        Looking around nervously, my eyes scanned the seats for another soul. But, I saw no one. Except for a very familiar face, whose grayish-blue eyes bore straight into the deepest parts of my soul. I stood there for a brief moment, my eyes locked with theirs as I connected with the bright orbs. Blinking, my eyes began to scan the area one last time. Though I saw nothing and no one... The familiar face was gone and for a split second I was saddened. But why? I usually hated even thinking of someone watching me play or sing, so the fact that I may have seen someone made me want to vomit. I swallowed any thoughts of that walking out the door and finishing my text. I let Hayden know that I was done for the day and that I was heading back to my room to relax and prepare for tomorrow.
        He responded ever so sweetly and quickly. His response was a smiley face and him letting me know he'd be over soonish with food. I smiled to myself feeling an overwhelming amount of thankfulness for him. But still, I continued to wonder if that feeling would always be enough to keep the darkness away.
       As I entered my ever secluded room I dropped my bag, kicked my shoes off, set Holly down, and made my way over to my large window. I felt like Rapunzel all locked up in my tower, watching down at the world as it continued to pass me by. I watched other students and faculty members scurrying about, trying to finish their preparations for whatever tomorrow might bring. I thought about the new first years and my family...
      My father always taught me that you were either a winner or a loser. In our fathers was no in between. Standing there, thinking about going into my third year, I felt differently. Sure, I grew up daddy's little girl and always wanting to please my family. But, now I felt wrong going along with that way of thinking. People could be anything or anyone they wanted to be. The world wasn't as black and white as I'd been taught. The world was filled with many colors. There were various shades of reds, greens, and blues... And I wanted to explore that grey area and every other damn color in the black and white world I'd been raised in...

Sabrina Claire Slytherin:

Sabrina's Room:

Sabrina's Outfit:

Sabrina's Outfit:

Holland (Holly):