Chapter 10: Change In the Air

Salazar' PoV:

       Fucking hell, my head hurt... what the hell happened to me? I hadn't drank that much had I? What was this hard surface I was laying on? Sitting up slowly, I opened my eyes even slower. Until I truly realized where I was. It was then that I was up in a flash.
       I was at Hogwarts, yes, but I was below the dungeon in the area I had created. I stood and turned, I was then facing the massive stone doors, covered in intertwined snakes. Like an idiot I moved to hug the door, laying my arms flat across the chilling stone.
        Letting go of the stone, I bent slightly, whispering into the door in my 'native' language, parseltongue. Stepping back I stood in awe as the enormous doors opened for me. It had been so long since I had been able to witness this, being stuck in the hellish purgatory for so long.
      Once they had opened for me fully, I stepped forward, feeling magic cording through my body. I shivered slightly, it was a magnificent feeling, one I had not felt in such a long time.
      I felt nothing but pure power as I walked down the narrow stone pathway I had built. I could've cried seeing the large stone snakes on both sides. And then I was met with a bit of light, as I walked into the opening. Stone snakes everywhere, I felt at peace as I stood in front of the small pond-like structure I had made. Water flowed from the fountain structure way up high, into the small body of water. It pleased me greatly.
       In more parseltongue, I whispered slowly. I waited for a few moments before I began to worry. Normally my dear baby, my sweet basilisk, Slinky, would have been waiting for me. If not that she would've come as soon as I whispered for her. But, there was nothing. Using my magic, I stood still and searched the maze like caves for my pet. SHE WAS GONE! "What the actual fuck?" I mumbled to no one but myself.
      It was then, that my magic carried something to me, out of one of the tunnels, wrapped in an orb of green magic, something floated towards me. I held out my hands for the object, frowning when it was placed in front of me. Though I understood why, it was very large. Not even that, it was an egg! Slinky had laid an egg! My basilisk would live on! I felt great joy as I wrapped my arms around the egg as much as I could. I even kissed the egg, I was so happy, happier than I had been in years.
      Seeing as I hadn't been to Hogwarts in decades, many many decades, I shrouded the egg in magic, protecting it from any vultures, I used my magic again to make it so I was outside the large doors. Being ever so paranoid, I stood and watched until the doors had closed completely and sealed. Using transport magic again, I was in a busy courtyard.
       There were students running everywhere. The chaos filled me with pleasure. The feeling of many female students and even a few male students, staring at me with feelings of desire, did not. I was mostly confused that they could actually see me. Was I truly back?
     And if I was; a) where the others also back, and b) why was everyone desiring an old man?
     I was left confused as I put my head down and made my way back inside the castle. Walking through the front doors, I felt the same way I had the first time the Great Four had walked through these doors for the first time after we built the great structure. I felt overwhelmed and full of a joyous feeling.
       I could've stood there and just enjoyed it all day, though it was very old and much had changed, it was still Hogwarts. However, the many students rushing about, was making that impossible. The fools bumped into me continuously. DID THEY NOT UNDERSTAND WHO I WAS!?
       I rushed into one of the bathrooms, the first male marked one I saw, in fact. It was empty, much to my delight. Standing in front of a mirror I was met with my younger form. I had somehow gone back to my body from when I was younger, from when the Great Four had built this building. I was no longer old.
       I did not wish to question this strange magic, instead I would embrace it. I'm sure that's why no one recognized me, while the other three had portraits done of themselves when we were young, I chose to stay out of that. I did not wish to be immortalized in such a way.
       All I had to do was avoid the others for as long as possible. I also needed to find my newest descendant, the darling and ever charming Sabrina. She was very different from her older brother, who had been an excellent Slytherin and lived up to his name rather well. Maybe there was hope I'd get to meet him as well..
      However, my main focus was dear Sabrina, I had in fact noticed that she was struggling greatly and I intended to fix that. I was quite clever, I could do that.
Looking down I saw that I was dressed in some godly awful rags, I looked horrid. With some quick thinking I mentally scanned through my vast knowledge of spells that I knew.
       Once my memory found the one I needed, I went forward with it. Looking back at my reflection, I was now dressed in black jeans, a gray sweater, and black boots. I nodded to my own self, I looked pretty good. Now I just needed to get with the times and adjust to the new times.
      It shouldn't be too hard, I was clever enough and I had been watching Sabrina for quite some time now. Regardless of how antisocial my dear descendant was, she was still a teenage girl in the modern world, and sometimes she engaged with others. Nevertheless, she was much more like me than her extroverted brother. I too was quite introverted, who preferred to be alone with my familiar, my music, and my thoughts.
       In a matter of mere seconds my brain had scanned through all social updates and everything currently happening in the world of magic and muggles. I had also gone into the past five years so that I could keep up with no fear of being stuck. I couldn't very well look like a fool, not I, the great Salazar Slytherin. While the world had gone downhill excessively since I had been gone, it made it that much easier to catch up.
       Seeing what had become of both worlds saddened me, and I refused to let Sabrina be a subject to the misery and loneliness that would follow her, as it had me. If she still chose a life of solitude after I had done everything in my power, which was a lot, to help her, that was her choice. And who was I to mess with one's freewill and choices? An evil smirk appeared on my face as I was transported out of the dark bathroom...

***

Sabrina's PoV:

       It was a normal Friday at Hogwarts to most of my fellow students, but I had a strange feeling of disagreement. When I awoke this morning Holly was curled up with me in bed, she was under my covers and close to my body. That's how I knew she was shaking, something had happened to make her feel uneasy. As I began to wake up more and become more alert, I too felt an uncomfortable presence looming around me. It was a heavy and dark feeling.
       And now, as I sat in the grassy area of the common area, I looked around, plagued by the wondering if others felt the same presence I did. Earlier this morning, as I made my way to my first class, I had been so sure that the feeling would just cease to exist. Seeing as it was now late afternoon, and my classes were finished, I still felt it all. And now, I wasn't so sure...
      I had done my best in the avoidance of Hayden all day as well. After our argument a few days ago, I had barely spoken to him via text, and I had fully avoided seeing him in person. I knew that it was a childish act, but I had no fucks to give. He had NO RIGHT to tell me I should give up Professor Weasley's class! Saying I shouldn't be messing with the unforgivable curse assignment. I had argued that it sounded like he was demanding things of me, this had caused him to grow even more upset.
      Did Hayden seriously not trust me enough to not give in to my family name? Did he not know me well enough to know that I was stronger than the urges which disrupted my dreams every night? It angered me greatly. We had been together for so long... What happened to us?
       Grant had also asked about my unusual mood in class today. Though I wasn't normally a cheery and happy person, especially as early as that class was. But, I also didn't normally glare at my notebook scribbling with a charcoal pencil until it cut through the paper. I had all but bit his head off, momentarily disrupting class.
      Thankfully Professor Weasley didn't focus on it, instead she continued class as though nothing had happened. I was thankful for that. Still, I shrugged off Grant's concern, after class had resumed. I continued to feel his gaze as he would look over me every so often. But, like all other concern for my well being, I ignored it.
      A strong gust of chilling fall wind brought my attention back to the present world around me. No one else seemed to be bothered by this, they all continued with their Friday afternoon, most likely planning their Friday night. Me? I was on high alert, my eyes scanning the area as I held Holly close to me. I shushed her panic squeals as I was trying to listen, trying to focus. Something had changed, more than this morning.
       And that was when I spotted him... a boy, more handsome, more alluring, than most other male students at the school. He looked panicked and ever so confused. Then there was his wardrobe of choice.. He wore ragged clothes, they looked older than us, by many centuries.
       I watched his movements closely from my spot under the large tree. He was an intriguing character. For reasons unknown to me, I felt drawn to him, though I held my ground and didn't move.
       I couldn't quite pinpoint why, but this stranger didn't feel like a stranger. He felt more familiar to me than anyone I knew. And those eyes? I had seen them before, though I couldn't place where... Instead of investigating further, I simply watched him, until he was gone. Blinking a few times, I let out a breath and blinked my long lashes until I had fully refocused on my surroundings...