Chapter 2: Quote the Raven

Riley's PoV:
      A Nimbus or a Firebolt? That was the real question at hand and the only one on my mind at the moment. Sure, I was a Ravenclaw, and I probably should've been focused on my study materials for my first year at Hogwarts, but I was really only such by name. And sure, I liked to read and considered myself to be an intelligent person. But, the classroom wasn't where I felt most comfortable, no, that was for sure the skies. And, besides, how often does one get to pick out their FIRST broom?! This was my chance...
        There was truly something liberating about being up in the skies among the clouds. The wide open feeling of freedom, the wind blowing through my hair, the possibilities were endless when I was up there. From a young age I knew I had loved flying and of course I had always excelled at it. If I wasn't lost in my novels, I was flying. And not just flying in general... learning, practicing, and studying the all time greatest sport in the world. Quidditch. I idolized a great deal of the greatest flyers and players of such sport. Oliver Wood. Victor Krum. Ginny Weasley (now Potter). And,  Anastasia Malfoy.
         Yes, most of the great were now retired, but that didn't mean I had to stop idolizing them, studying their old moves, etc. it also helped that my family understood my passion and didn't ever try to funnel it towards something else. Sure, we Ravenclaw cared about our family name and legacy, but unlike the Slytherin or Gryffindor families, we weren't crushed with expectations or humiliation if we did wrong... like getting sorted into any other house than our namesake.
        This all brought me back to the present moment in time, deciding which broom I wanted. Restrictions on items from home had been lifted by the new headmaster, allowing students to bring their own brooms from home. And, as a first year, congratulations gift to me, my parents had promised to buy me any broom I wanted. I had been over the moon with excitement... now if only I could make up my mind.
Firebolts, of course we're known for their raw speed, while the Nimbus line of brooms were some of (if not the absolute) best on the market. I knew my time to make a choice was running low... If I had planned to be a seeker, well then the Firebolt would've been the clear choice for me. But, in the end I went with the newest model of Nimbus broom.
The streets of Diagon Alley were jammed pack, mostly with eager first years buying their supplies for classes. Olivander's wand shop was absolutely bustling, plenty of student were still buying books at Flourish and Blotts and of course, Gringotts was at the heart of it all. I had been smart and purchased my wand and my books way earlier, along with hitting Gringotts before the rush hit hard.
As I muscled my way through the busy street, I was well aware of the people staring at me. Not that I wasn't used to it by now... it came with the name and I knew it. However, I wasn't that person that would use my "fame" to the advantage it brought, at least not on purpose. But, I also wasn't dumb enough to say no to a given perk. I will say though, one part of the "fame" my name brought, that I truly detested were all the unwanted glances I would get from other wizards. Those poor boys had no chance.
I knew what I wanted in a boyfriend, if I even decided to say yes to one in the near future. I wanted someone intelligent, someone with looks, and I wanted someone who could keep up and not hold me back... yeah I wanted it all. But, every boy I had met wanted to be with me because of my name, not because of me. I shrugged off the low thoughts as I continued moving forward.
The glances and stares didn't stop though, I knew I looked a wreck of sorts, not that it mattered though. Even on days I looked homeless I still would turn heads due to my pure natural beauty. Although, today I was loving the outfit I had chosen, of course I'd chosen only the best to arrive at Hogwarts in, since we didn't have to change into our robes on the train anymore. Those awaited us at the school in our rooms.
For my arrival I had chose a blue denim shirt tied up, a high waisted pale blue pencil skirt, paired with nude heels I could still run in, and a white tote purse. Just like always I hadn't done anything super fancy with my hair, just a simple curl, leaving down to fall just below my shoulders. My makeup was also there and noticeable, but I didn't look like a clown. In that regard I always felt that less was more.
      I had just finished my last bit of shopping when I heard a commotion coming from the streets. I turned to see a hooded figure coming from Knockturn Alley. I hear the words "stop that thief" being cried out as the figure moved swiftly down the street. I didn't know who the figure was or what he had stolen but I wasn't taking any chances. I didn't see anyone else doing anything and so I jumped into action.
       Climbing atop my new Nimbus, I took to flying down the street at great speeds. I gained a bit of altitude so that I could avoid the crowd and keep an eye on the runner. He must have realized that someone was chasing him because he began ducking in and out of alleyways in attempts to lose his pursuer. Against an amateur, his actions might have worked, but that wasn't me. I was an extremely gifted flier and had a knack for getting myself in trouble. And getting out of it just as fast...
I raced above the area, the rooftops right below me, keeping an eye on the scumbag. I didn't know if anyone else was chasing him down below, or me for that matter, but I didn't care. I only cared about catching him now. I kicked my broom into high gear and raced after the hooded figure. Of course I already had a plan for defeating him.
      Somehow I had anticipated the sequence of path he would take through the alleys and now I was waiting at the end for him. I was hiding around the corner as I heard the sound of footsteps hitting the pavement hard. Of course he was running. He was trying to escape his chaser, me. While remaining seated on the broom, I swung the back end around facing the alley as the thief collided with the end of my Nimbus. This action knocked us both down. I remained standing as I held on to my broom with one hand. And so I recovered faster, as he tried to stand I landed a sucker punch square on with his jaw. Once again the hooded figure hit the ground and I knew he was out cold.
       Using my other hand I pointed my wand straight at the thief waiting for some sort of authorities to arrive as I shook my other hand in pain. That punch really hurt my hand. I soon heard other footsteps approach as I saw Aurors arrive to take the Amman into custody. Among the authorities was none other than the Minister of Magic, Hermoine Weasley herself. It wasn't the first time I had run into the famous Minister. There had been several other times I had ended up using magic in self defense or situations such as this one and had been drug in front of the Minister. Each time before I had been let off with a stern warning. There had been no magic used on my behalf this time so thankfully I was in the clear.
"Miss Ravenclaw, how many times are we going to run into eachother before you even make it to Hogwarts?" Minister Weasley's voice carried a mixture of sternness and amusement.
"Minister Weasley, how nice to see you once again. As a matter of fact there was no magic used here. Just my Witt's, incredible flying skills, and a good old fashioned sucker punch to the face. So if you'll excuse me I have a train to catch." My voice dropped in sarcasm, smugnesses, and amusement.
"Of course Miss Ravenclaw. Although, I do expect you to be wearing the colors of Gryffindor the next time we meet. Despite your name, you'd be exceptional fit for the house." And with that they were gone, I hoped back on my broom with a shrug of my shoulders and made my way to the train station. Hermoine's words about my sorting echoed in my head as I flew. I knew I wouldn't be put into the Ravenclaw house, not that it bothered me much. But, I wasn't sure where I belonged.
Though I was wicked smart, I knew I wasn't meant for the Ravenclaw house. I had of course discussed my impending sortment with my parents and they weren't disappointed at all, thankfully. They had explained that they just wanted me to be myself and to be happy.
I wouldn't be the first of the Ravenclaw namesake to be put somewhere else than my names' house, my mother had even explained that she'd been a Slytherin. It was where she'd met her best and life long best friend, Celeste. I knew my aunt's story well. My family's only expectations of me were that I learn a lot, enjoy my time at Hogwarts, and choose the path I wanted.
      As I walked to the train station I pondered all of these thoughts. It's not like it was a big weight on my shoulders or anything, just things my parents had been telling me for as long as I can remember. When I finally stepped on to the 9 3/4 platform I saw that my parents were already there waiting for me with the rest of my belongings. The platform was bustling with other students, reacquainting themselves with old friends and saying their goodbyes to loved ones.
       Among my parents I found my favorite and most beloved possession, my sweet familiar. Lacy, my furry grey and white ferret, was eagerly awaiting my arrival as she squirmed in my mother's arms. This was another restriction that had been lifted in recent years, the limits on what magical creatures could accompany one to the school. I couldn't imagine attending Hogwarts without Lacy by my side.
        She instantly recognized that I was near and jumped out of my mother's arms and into my hands. I scratched her little head gently as she curled up in my purse, making herself comfortable. "She's been looking all over for you Riley. You almost missed the train. Did everything go well in Diagon Alley?"
       "For the most part, yes. I stopped a thief and had another run in with Minister Weasley, so yeah everything was fine. Oh I ended up settling on a Nimbus broom. It was a bit more, but all around the better choice." I responded to my father. Both of my parents smiled and shook their heads as I hugged them both before boarding the train.
      "Our little trouble maker, always rushing into danger. If you didn't have your heart set on being a Quidditch legend you would've made a great Auror" I heard my mother say those last things as I boarded the train. And, in my mind J replayed her words. Maybe I would be good at that. Maybe that would be the path I chose for my future. I wasn't sure yet... Reaching out of the first window I found I gave my parents one last wave before they disappeared behind me in a cloud of steam.
       By some miracle I had gotten a compartment all to myself. I sat down on one of the seats and stretched out as Lacy crawled out of my bag. Leaning my head against the window, I watched as she allowed herself to roam freely. Her favorite spots were in a pocket of mine or in my bag, but she also enjoyed exploring new areas with no restraints. I watched her as she scurried up my lap and onto the window ledge in order to bathe in the sunshine. Smiling at my sweet girl, I settled in for a nap on the ride to my new home.