Chapter 3: Where I Belong

Grant's PoV:
"GRANT MCARTHUR GRYFFINDOR! You turn that horrid Satan music off right now and get your butt downstairs RIGHT NOW!" I heard my mother's insanely shrill and loud voice echoing through our home and up into my room. Iris Gryffindor was a scary woman to most, but to me she was mom, and I was only sometimes afraid of her. With my eyes still closed I rolled my eyes as I continued to lay on my bed.
        I really didn't want to deal with her shit right now, but I also knew that if I didn't listen to her my father, who would be home soon, would be even worse. With one simple snap of my fingers, my overly loud "satan music", as my mother called it, shut off and my luggage began packing itself.
       At least I knew that today was the day I finally got out of this house. Soon my mother would be taking me to the train station so that I could hop on the Hogwarts express and head off to my new residence for the next few years. Shame my father would not be seeing me off as well since the asshole would probably still have work to do when he got home.
         Reluctantly I rolled out of bed, knocking the empty scotch glass off my nightstand. It never hit the ground though thanks to my magic. I knew if I broke one of my father's crystal glasses, or if either of my parents knew I was drinking my father's scotch, I'd be six feet under so fast Hollow, my bat, wouldn't be able to do make a sound. I stood beside my bed staring out my floor to ceiling bedroom window. Watching over the city of muggles. Silly humans, they had no idea how many of my kind lived and worked among them.
        My father was one of the most powerful and well respected lawyers in all of London and my mother was a rich housewife that did shit with the other lawyers wives. And then there was me, the troubled teenager who was constantly in trouble, thank you to my dad for being able to use magic and get or keep me out of jail. They both were so certain that Hogwarts would be good for me. The thought of that made me laugh. Either way I'd go, because well it got me out and it might shut them up for a while.
        I stretched lazily as I began to ready myself for the day. I dressed in a pair of black jeans, black boots, a black T-shirt , and a grey flannel. Lastly I threw on my glasses and as I did I looked at all of the shit gathering by my door. Among everything was the stuff I'd purchased in Diagon Alley just a couple of days ago. Boy was that fun... not. I rolled my eyes to myself. I had to do all of my shopping all alone as my dad was at work and my mom was nursing her hangover from her brunch with the girls.
Well that's kind of a lie. I hadn't been completely alone. I'd had Hollow with me, my sweet familiar. As I thought of her, the little bat landed on my shoulder and perched herself comfortably. "Yeah at least I had you" I rubbed her head gently with one of my fingers as she squealed at me. I laughed quietly as I put an airport in and turned my music back on. I opened my door for my luggage to take itself downstairs and shoved my hands in my pockets.
As I made my way downstairs I could smell my mother's "magical" hangover cure potion. Of course she was trying to sober up, just to be able to take her son to the train station. I guess I should be somewhat thankful for that. Like damn mom, it was 8:00 am, could you not be hungover??? Out of the corner of my eye I could see Hollow scrunch up her little face at the smell. I nodded in agreement. It was awful. But, hey, if it worked...
I entered the kitchen as my stuff stacked by the door. "Ready" I spoke to my mother who had her back to me as she was hunched over the kitchen sink. "Fuck child, don't startle me..." my mother jumped slightly and turned around with her hand over her heart. Taking a deep breath I took in my mother's appearance. Her hair was a wreck, she wore dark sunglasses and a black dress. Yep, this was as good as it was going to get. Guess it really didn't matter what one wore to go and get rid of their son for a few years.
*****
Our drive to the station was a silent one. Mom was still kinda hungover and apparently not in the mood to put effort into speaking. Or trying. She rode with her head against the head rest and her sunglasses still covering her eyes. I also remained quiet as I watched the city pass by outside. Every so often I'd glance over at mom and up towards our driver. And then I'd look over at my shoulder where a sleeping Hollow perched peacefully.
         I took another deep breath and turned my attention back to the passing world outside. Honestly I couldn't wait for a new environment and maybe some change.
*****
Upon arriving at the train station my mother and I exited the car and stood there awkwardly as our driver loaded my luggage onto a cart. Once he was done and back in the car my mother gave my a brief one arm hug. I returned the gesture. "Behave Grant." Yep, that was all she said to me before getting back in the car. I watched as the car drove away before walking inside.
       Finding the magical platform was too easy, but not so easy that an idiot muggle could do it. I left my luggage with the people loading it and grabbed my laptop bag off the cart. "Ready Hollow?" I looked to my familiar. She squealed in response. As I went to board the train I looked around at all of the families hugging and all the parents crying because their children were leaving. Rolling my eyes I pushed away the hurt I felt.
Once on the train I saw other students rejoicing in seeing one another. They were laughing and full of smiles. I made no effort to join in. I made the move to find an empty cart as fast as I could and hide myself away. I didn't even bother moving my luggage out of the way, I didn't want to have room cleared for others to join me. No, instead, I sat down by a window and put my AirPods in once more. I didn't bother looking out the window either. I knew my mother didn't stick around to see me off. Heartless bitch...
As my music started playing the train started to move. Slowly I leaned my head back against the seat and closed my eyes. I rubbed a finger along Hollow's back and began to relax. And for a good minute I was at peace. Until I felt eyes on me. Startled I opened my own, looking around my empty cabin. Landing on the door I saw a girl.
She stood there staring at me through the glass. With long sleek brown hair, perfectly pin straight and big brown doe-like innocent eyes she watched me. What had I been doing to seem so interesting? I made no move to get up and let her in or seem inviting. I simply glanced outside and and then close my eyes once more. I hoped that she would walk away. I felt like a caged animal with her watching me. Though I was used to the feeling I still didn't appreciate it.
*****
      The train came to a swift halt and alerted me of our arrival as my head moved forward and hit the back once more. I saw outside my window that people were dressed up a bit more. 'Shit...' I thought to myself. I didn't know we were supposed to change...
       I made haste as I whipped out my wand and changed myself into a grey tweed suit and a silk black tie. Once I tucked my wand into my suit pocket and slicked my hair back I looked up. I met the same eyes as I had seen earlier. She looked stunned. I just glared as I adjusted my glasses and moved towards the door.
      I watched her scurry away as I touched the handle. Weird.
I left my luggage in my cabin as we were instructed and moved in line with the other students still exiting the train. I was so ready to just meet my belongings in my room, hopefully the private one I requested, and just prepare myself mentally for what tomorrow would bring.
       I do sort of remember my parents telling me of what Hogwarts would be like and how things would go. Not that I ever really listened to them... so I was very confused as to why we needed to be more dressed up just to enter the castle. Until I got inside and moved with the crowd into the Great Hall. 'Ohhh that's right... the sorting ceremony. Joy...' This I do remember hearing about,
       Each of my parents had their own ideas of where I would be sorted. I thought about this as we were seated. My mother, while she said very little about a lot, she felt strongly that I would be a Ravenclaw because I was so intelligent. My father on the other hand was certain that I would be a Gryffindor. He saw me as brave, because I was brave enough to the stupid shit I always did and defy him constantly.
        These thoughts continued in my head until I heard my name. "GRANT McARTHUR GRYFFINDOR!" The new headmaster boomed. With confidence I made my way to the front, catching the eye and attention of every girl and possibly a few boys. Not that I wanted their attention...
        As the hat was placed upon my head, I scanned the crowd for the girl I had seen earlier. I tried not to be extremely obvious, but that's quite difficult when you're sitting on a small wooden (and extremely uncomfortable) stool in front of everyone...
       "SLYTHERIN!" The hat declared and many students cheered. However, the majority of them were silent... I stood and went to sit with my housemates. 'Interesting...' I thought to myself.
Both of my parents were wrong. I knew my mother wouldn't care as much as my father who would most likely be quite pissed. Good. He deserved it, and nothing less. I'm sure I wasn't the first male of the family to not be a Gryffindor, but I was HIS son and that's what he wanted most from me. However, that wasn't where I belonged.
I sat there, mostly silent, but also learning the names of a few of my housemates as we watched the continuing of the sorting. A few more students joined us, here and there. I paid some attention. But, mostly I just held onto Hollow and wished it would be over soon.
"RILEY JANE RAVENCLAW!" I looked up at the next name being called. It was another descendant, just like me... And there she was... the girl with the big brown eyes. She made her way up to the front in a short silver dress. It set off her pale skin tone well and fit her body nicely. It swayed around her as she walked confidently to the front. I was impressed with how she never faltered under my intense stare.
       After watching her sorting, I didn't care to pay attention to anything else. I scrolled through random apps an my phone and have Hollow the attention she always wanted.
  "And now students, I welcome you all to your new home for many years! I hope you find yourself, your place in this world and where you truly belong as we guide you along the way and help you discover the joys of magic while also understanding the dangers! You will now follow your prefects to your chambers! Sleep well and rest up for tomorrow is your first day!"
         The headmaster's words peeked my interest. We were finally getting to leave here and retire to our given rooms. Hopefully my family name and my father's sizable donation got me the single room I had wanted. He knew as an only child I didn't share well and I didn't like people.
And after a long day of studying spells and interactions, who would want to retire to their dorm only to have to deal with more social-ness?
       I followed the rest of the students of Slytherin to our dark chambers. We were a mostly quiet group, thankfully. Once in our common room, our prefect went over the rules and such, yes this was the part I normally tuned out. And this time was no different.
Finally we were given our room keys and told to go rest and prepare for the upcoming day. The first day of the rest of our magical lives. I rolled my eyes to myself as I entered my new room. Even in the deep dark dungeons of Hogwarts the rooms weren't to shabby. With magic my walls had the illusion of windows, giving me some light, but other than that it was dark.
Looking around the room, I gave it a nod. I guess this would do. It wasn't quite the level of luxury I was used to, but it was close enough. I watched as Hollow flew around, also adjusting to our new living quarters. I didn't even touch my luggage or bother to change. No, I simply laid on my new bed and waited for sleep to come to me as I thought of the brown eyed girl feeling more relaxed than I had in a long time.

Grant McArthur Gryffindor:

Hollow the Bat:

Grant's Suit:

Grant's Room:

Grant's Room: