Chapter 7

The other search team, consisting of Kael and Rabbie, was already waiting for them at Camp Beta by the time Y/n and Gazsi had returned. Collectively, it seemed they had searched most of the northern half of the island and no one had seen Rat in the flesh. They spoke about their next moves (Y/n promising to get in touch with both Dr. Nilsson and Einar but only after he had food, water, and a nap) before breaking apart.

Y/n quickly ate some breakfast and crawled into his sleeping bag. He was too tired to even change out of his itchy, sweaty outdoorsmen clothes. He sunk his face into his little feather pillow (don't judge Y/n for bringing it with him it was damn comfy) and conked out.

Again, Y/n's momentary peace didn't last. He felt like he had barely shut his eyes before something heavy was being thrown on him (it was his bag).

He woke up in a similar fashion as he did earlier: in a panic, flailing around and getting tangled up in his sleeping bag all over again.

"What is —? Who is —? What's happening?" a half-conscious Y/n blurted out incoherently as he blinked his exhaustion away.

"Time to wake up!" An enthused voice shouted at him, loud and — and feminine and wonderfully familiar.

Y/n detangled himself from his sleeping bag, shoved his bag off to the side, and blinked up at the woman like she was an angel sent from God, "Dr. Nilsson?"

A loud laugh followed, the woman in an oddly good mood. "Yes, and I see you are still my ever so hardworking assistant."

Y/n got up and defended himself, "Hey, I was out late last night —"

Dr. Nilsson quickly waved him off, cheeks flushed and smile on her lips obscenely wide, "I heard, I heard. Rabbie told Einar and I as soon as we got here. Rat's gone missing and everyone went out to search for him. Didn't find him — how unfortunate.

"But!" she exclaimed, her excitement seeming a tad inappropriate for their situation. "Right now you and I have much more important work to be doing. I've already packed your bag," she nodded to it, "so as soon as you're up let's —"

"Er, wait," Y/n stopped her there, rubbing his eyes, "what's going on? What — what work?"

"The discovery of the century, Y/n!" Dr. Nilsson shouted excitedly. "I told you that Einar was taking me out to explore the western half of the island and we've done it! We've found it! The naga!"

At that, Y/n's eyes opened wide. "You're shitting me," he shamelessly gaped at her.

Some of the fire in her eyes faded. "Only a little bit," she admitted. "We didn't find a live specimen but we found — oh I'm not going to ruin the surprise! Just hurry up and follow me back to Camp Alpha."

Her hand wrapped around Y/n's arm as she tugged him out of his tent. He picked up his bag on his way out, swinging it over his shoulder. Outside, Einar and a few of his men stationed at Camp Alpha were already there, talking in low serious tones with Rabbie and Gazsi. Upon seeing them, Einar waved both Dr. Nilsson and Y/n over.

"I see you've got him up," he commented. "Are you ready to return to Camp Alpha then, Miss Nilsson?"

Dr. Nilsson gave him a warm smile, "Oh yes. I can't wait to show Y/n what we've got in the lab."

Einar held up a finger, "Give me just a minute."

Dr. Nilsson nodded, tugging Y/n some ways away. However, seeing Gazsi again reminded the (h/c) man — he stopped them short, turning to his employer.

"Did they just tell you Rat was missing?" he asked her.

Dr. Nilsson's brows furrowed as she voiced a distracted, "Yes, why?"