Chapter 16

The naga had vanished — and Y/n had his answer. The naga did feel empathy for Y/n. Enough that it refused to stay and watch him die. No, like a coward, it had slithered off into the unknown darkness. It probably wasn't going to return until days had passed. Long enough to ensure Y/n was dead before it came back to its home.

Frustrated tears pricked the corners of Y/n's eyes. His fever still had not broken. This situation was hopeless...

If only the (h/c) man had the gift of foresight, he would've resigned from Dr. Nilsson's employment weeks ago. No, actually, scratch that. Y/n would've concocted some plan of stopping this expedition altogether. He would've stopped poachers from coming here — remembering the northern camp he had run across still made him sick. He would've found some way for the entire world just to leave this island alone.

These were good final thoughts.

Y/n's heartbeat was a faint flutter in his chest, like a candle whose wick had just run out. Its fire was sputtering; dying; winking out of existence...

The few tears that managed to escape from Y/n's eyes went unnoticed; ignored by the (h/c) man. They didn't really matter, after all.

Y/n's mind drifted and faded with the sun sinking low in the sky.

_____

Something pulled him out of the darkness — quite forcibly. Something had snagged his shirt, talons were scraping the skin of his back. Y/n came alive with a weak jerk of his limbs. He blinked blearily into the darkness and had a moment of hazy confusion before he was being dragged back against cold metal bars.

It took him a second to register the thick hisses that were filling the air, rising and abating like the tide. The naga — it had come back?

Y/n didn't have a moment to gather his wits. A large large hand was suddenly snatching the lower half of his face and turning him roughly to face the bars. The cold metal pressed hard against his cheek. He tried to push away from the rough handling, but his strength failed him. His hand could only curl around the naga's wrist, barely able to tug at it.

The creature's hisses became louder; more enraged, but Y/n had no idea what it was trying to say. And then a second hand, cool to the touch, joined the first, two sharp talons finding the seam of Y/n's lips. At that, the (h/c) man's panic reached an apex.

"What are you doing?" he cried, trying in vain to turn his face away from those sharp claws. However, the naga's other hand kept him firmly in place.

Then suddenly the creature was forcing his mouth open with a hard pressure applied to his jaw muscles. Y/n groaned in pain. His hands were scrabbling uselessly against the naga's arms.

"Something I should not be," the naga practically snarled before the hand poised at Y/n's lips retreated.

It returned quickly — but not alone. Something wet, sticky, and fleshy dragged across the jut of Y/n's chin — and the (h/c) man internally recoiled. What the hell was in the naga's hand?

It was being forced past Y/n's lips a moment later, two of the naga's fingers firmly pushing it inside. The (h/c) man nearly choked around whatever was filling his mouth — a sharp tangy taste was overwhelming his senses.

The naga was feeding him.

The naga was feeding him — Why? Y/n mustered the last of his strength to swallow whatever it was. Then he had an abrupt moment of panic. This was a naga. Its diet of late largely consisted of people — just what the fuck was Y/n eating —?