Chapter 32

In Camp Charlie's medical tent, Y/n began to understand how very lucky he truly was. Not only because he discovered that the injury on his shoulder had an exit wound — which meant no bullet he had to dig out — but also because the silence here was deafening. There were no voices murmuring, no footfalls, and no occasional clink of metal or buzz of technology. There was no human being left on this island... except for him. The (h/c) man still couldn't fully wrap his head around that fact.

But then again, there were more pressing things for Y/n to get to — like finishing up with his flimsy first aid attempt. First had been to stop the bleeding and then the (h/c) man had to tear the stitches out of his leg and redo them. He was no trained professional, but the basic theory of suturing a wound was in his head. There from previous personal experience — some of that incredibly recent — and general knowledge. Besides, Y/n was lucky a third time over considering that Einar might be dead and gone, but the man had left plenty in the way of first aid kits. A suturing kit among them.

Then when he finished with his leg (his more dire wound), Y/n moved onto his shoulder. Undoing his flimsy tourniquet, he cleaned it and sutured that as well, wrapping both injuries in lots of fresh guaze and securing it with sturdy medical tape.

After that, Y/n sat on a lone cot for a long time, head spinning due to blood loss and stress and a whole lot of other things. He managed to get some food and water down, but what he really needed was rest. He felt worn out, body aching and abused, and mind unable to focus on anything.

Enlil had deposited him at the mouth of the tent and seemed to hesitate there, only leaving when Y/n told him to. He didn't need the naga to hang around as he handled his wounds in a haze of dizziness, frustration, and meticulous, painful needlework. However, Y/n knew without a doubt that the naga had not gone far. Out of his limited, human sight for sure, but Y/n doubted he was out of Enlil's range of senses.

Enlil.

Y/n's face sunk in his one good hand. What the hell was he supposed to do with a creature like that? What was he supposed to do come tomorrow? Or an hour from now?

Should Y/n just stick around here and try to establish radio contact with the mainland in order to get transport off this island?

Y/n's eyes opened wide. Actually, yes, that is probably what I should do.

Wasn't that what the naga had wanted? Enlil said so before when Y/n was still stuck in that damnable cage.

"Leave my home. I know you can. Leave the way you came!"

"I want you gone!"

Wasn't that the whole point of Y/n being spared? The naga was empathetic toward him because Y/n had been respectful — he didn't hurt the naga, or even try to, didn't eat off his land, didn't make too much of a disturbance...

Wasn't the whole point of this just to let Y/n go? To spare him? And Y/n — well, he wouldn't mind going home and sinking head first into his own bed again. A smile formed on Y/n's face the more he thought about home.

But it faded when he thought about abandoning this island only for other people to move in. To bring their ammunition, their destructive ambitions, to this place. And next time, Enlil might not be enough to protect both himself and this place.

Y/n couldn't sit back and let that happen. When he returned home — maybe there would be something he could do about it — if...

The (h/c) man sighed and slowly laid back against the cot. These were considerations for tomorrow. After he had gotten a good night of rest. Elevating both his leg and his shot shoulder, Y/n settled into an uncomfortable, but deep, sleep.