Chapter 36

As Y/n was coaxed from the waters of unconsciousness, a strange mood came upon him. He knew he had dreamed; a myriad of unpleasant but inchoate sequences. He could recall nothing specifically, but a great dread curled unpleasantly in his gut; a surge of adrenaline rising and falling in the streams of his blood. The nightmares could have been about anything; the last few weeks of Y/n's life had been nothing but one stressful situation after another. His mind flashed to Dr. Nilsson's torn up visage, to claws raking down Einar's face — he inhaled, and he exhaled.

It was then he flinched. He had not felt it at first, but there was a gentle pressure at the base of Y/n's spine. Fingers were gliding up and down the length of his back, talons catching on the hem of his shirt; it hitched up a centimeter or so with every pass. It took Y/n a single, groggy moment before he recognized Enlil's touch. Another one to fully understand how much the naga's body was insistently invading his own: the (h/c) man could feel the thick coil of the creature's banded tail nestled in the space between Y/n's legs.

It was... an interesting sensation. Snakes' tails were mostly muscle, powerful muscle in Enlil's case, and to feel it contract around his sensitive upper thigh, or wriggle to find a comfortable pocket of space amongst the slope of his calves, Y/n couldn't help giving an involuntary squeeze back. The (h/c) man felt suddenly too aware of every point of contact between them, his skin too sensitive; overwhelmed by the tingles racing up and down his nerves. The fingers descending down his spine paused, and then Y/n felt a whisper of a tongue against the nape of his neck: thin and fluttery. Enlil began hissing, in that strange melodious language, his deep tones oddly dulcet as if attempting to coax Y/n back to sleep.

Half-conscious and sleepily dragging his eyes partly open, Y/n felt a desire to know. He wanted to know what the naga was always saying, what the creature was whispering to him now. But the soft, luring tones were devastatingly effective. Another wave of heaviness pulled Y/n's eyelids back down and he dozed. He unknowingly relaxed back into the naga's hold, and shivered when Enlil's fingers began their ascent once more. It screamed of a calm, deliberate patience. Of a snake waiting in the brush to ambush its unwitting prey. Y/n's breath shook as those talons dipped slightly beneath the hem of his shirt, circling around a notch in his spine. The sharp edges of the naga's talons felt too good against his bare skin; on the right side of light, teasing, and ticklish.

Yet, the fingers left, skirting up his back once more over his shirt. But they kept moving, sliding up his neck and then curling around to trace over the raised, angry tissue of Enlil's mark. Y/n felt his breath catch and still when Enlil pressed the pads of his cooler fingers against the indents of his own fangs in Y/n's skin. The (h/c) man could almost feel the creature's satisfaction, as present and dense as the surrounding humidity. And it made something deep in Y/n tremble.

And Enlil did not stop touching his mark on Y/n's shoulder. The naga's fingers lightly outlined its form, his claws catching on healing scabs, and then Enlil applied pressure. It did not hurt beyond a mild sting, but the naga's touch was firm, manipulating and massaging the mark as if fascinated, endlessly fascinated with the shape it had taken on Y/n's delicate skin.

Y/n felt the blood rise to his face, and his cheeks grow hot. He wondered, for the millionth time, if he had yet again stumbled into something dangerous headfirst and ignorant. All Enlil had said was the mark — the act of biting him — was a gesture of affection, but this did not feel like a light intimacy. It was no kiss on the cheek, or cuddling embrace. The sheer amount of attention the mark was receiving felt far too intense; destabilizing. The (h/c) man swallowed and tried to ignore how good it felt.

Well, until the naga's fingers paused. The cessation of such gentle ministrations brought a wake of comfortable, buzzing sensitivity to Y/n's throat and shoulder. It was enough to have the (h/c) man drifting back off. Yet, he could sense the naga remained poised behind him. Although his sensory organs were not keen enough to pick up on what Enlil was doing precisely, Y/n's awareness of the naga remained painfully acute. He felt the back of his neck prickle, a subtle alarm being tripped in the back of his sleepy mind.