Part Quattro

“This game is stupid.” I said. Rakim sucked his teeth in disagreement. Momma left the house about an hour ago and since then Rakim has been playing Gears of War 3. He tried to make me play too, but I knew as soon as I started playing, my character would die.

“You stupid.” He replied. I punched him in his side and he laughed. It was only his second day babysitting me and I was already seeing him as a big brother. But as I watched him play the video game, I remembered my first impression of him. No, not the situation with the party, but the very first time I saw him…

I’ll never forget that day.

It was a half-day in school and we were let out early. I used the spare time to go to the hair salon. The TV in there was playing the news, reporting a deadly shooting of one of the top dealers…

Wait, rewind. When I was walking to the salon from school, I passed an alley. There was a dark-skinned boy with short braids looking dazed and frightened in the alley. It was Rakim.

The shooting happened at that alley.

“I’m bored…and hungry.” Rakim said, interrupting my thoughts.

“Me too.” I said. I was always timid toward Rakim since then. I didn’t think he was the killer…but the fact that it’s a possibility was scary.

“Could you go buy us something to eat please?” He asked, digging in his pocket for money. I stood up to put on some sneakers.

“Get a BLT and a Coke for me and whatever else for you.” He handed me two twenty-dollar bills. I tied my shoes and rushed out the building and into the street. I promised myself then that I wouldn’t ever think of that day again.

The rest of the mob weren’t sitting on the steps. They were probably in the bodega, where I was about to go. I looked up at the weak sun. It wasn’t as hot as it usually is, since September is turning into October soon. I crossed the street and headed over to the Spanish bodega instead of the Arab one. It was closed this early.

As soon as I got into the store I heard a lot of yelling, and I knew the mob was indeed in here. I walked further in to see Twelvy arguing with the owner of the store about the store’s high prices while Ferg snuck some items in his big jacket.

“Ay, Tre!” Nast yelled. Then all the others joined in, waving at me. I greeted them in return and subconsciously rubbed on the A tattoo on my back. Lord, if Momma found out about this…

“Tremaine?”

I looked at the guys, but they had already gone back to stealing. So who was the person that called me? I turned in the opposite direction to see a familiar-looking boy, about my age…

“Kevon?” I asked, barely gathering up the strength to say it. Kevon? I stared at him like a dummy, not knowing what to say. To be honest, I’d never seen him up close like this. He was always just walking past Shandy and I in the halls, or two rows away from me in class.

“Yeah. What you doing here?” He asked me. I was astonished as he spoke. How could someone be so perfect? Everything he did, every move his lips made…it was just beautiful.

“Um…buying food.” I replied awkwardly. He nodded and laughed, probably at himself. I looked away to hide my smirk and ordered my food, still hearing the fake argument Twelvy was having in the back with the store owner. The other guys’ jackets were probably full with stolen food.

Soon, the food was ready, so I left the store (with goodbyes from the mob) and made my way back to the store. Before I left, I looked back to see if Kevon was still there, but he wasn’t. I continued walking until I noticed someone by my side, making me jump.

It was Kevon. He looked at me and I looked at him, and then looked away. The only thing I kept thinking of was calling Shandy as soon as I got back inside and telling her about this.

“You’re changing.” He simply said.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Before, you were so quiet…like, I barely knew who you were.”

Thanks.

“But now,” he continued, “you’re fighting in school, getting suspended, hanging out with guys…and don’t think I ain’t notice yo’ man come and drag you away from the party.”

I laughed. “My what?”

“You heard me.” Kevon said.

“Rakim is not my man. He’s just…a friend.” I said, blushing. The mere thought of me and Rakim was just…absurd. And funny, too. While we were walking, Kevon bit his lip in the most amazing way…

“What’re you doing out of school anyway?” I asked him, just coming to the realization that school was supposed to still be in session. Kevon blushed a little—another beautiful move.

“I kind of got…suspended.” He said. “It’s a long story.” He added, knowing I would ask him why. I nodded. The building was approaching and I got a disappointed feeling in my chest. Kevon would have to leave me soon and go home, or wherever he was going. I sighed.

“Thanks for walking with me, I guess.” I said slowly. He smiled. (Do I need to tell you how amazing that was too?)

“It’s ight. I’m going in this same direction anyway. I gotta meet Jordan at my house to organize something.” He said. Jordan was his brother. I stopped on the second step and looked at him; he was on the first step, waiting for something to happen before we went separate ways.

My heart was beating so fast and I was so nervous that I didn’t know what to do, so Kevon just laughed. “See you later, Tremaine.” He walked away after saying that, and I waved.

See you later.

                                                        * * *

At 3:15 on the dot, Shandy was knocking on my door. I had invited her over to tell her the whole Kevon story. When I came back from the store, Rakim took his food out on the steps to chill with his friends and had just come back.

“Your Momma’s early?” He asked. I shook my head and got up to get the door. When I opened it, Shandy squealed and leaped onto me for a hug.

“Shandy, stoooop. You’re hurting me.” I said. She let me go.

“Sorry, girl. What was this big emergency?” She asked as I led her into the living room. I plopped myself on the couch, and as soon as she saw Rakim next to me she dropped her bag. She gave him this look, and I knew things were about to get wild.

“What is he doing here? Isn’t this the same dude that came and EMBARRASSED you at Justin’s party?” Shandy asked me. I tried to explain to her that he was just a babysitter, but she didn’t give me the chance.

“Listen! Who do you think you are? How can you just—” She was saying to him. I rolled my eyes while she went on and on.

“Shandy! I talked to Kevon today.” I interrupted her. She froze still, grabbed my arm and ran me over to the kitchen.

I told her everything, and she screamed and asked questions that I couldn’t answer. It was all fun and laughter until Momma came home and rushed everyone out the house, including Rakim.

“See you later.” He waved to me. I remembered what Kevon said. I waved goodbye back, and he turned around and walked out.

There was something black peeking out of his pocket. Was that…a glock?

No surprise; he’s a thug. That’s what they do. But that wasn’t what was significant to me. The funny thing was that this was a déjà vu moment. I’ve seen Rakim with that glock before.

But I promised myself I’d never think of that day again.