Part Trentasei

The anticipation grew as the morning brewed into the afternoon. Nicole was pleasantly uninterested, remaining in her room behind the excuse of having to paint a vital portrait. Dom seemed to be only slightly disappointed, moping around the house and engaging himself in random activities as Danny prepared me like a mother prepares her daughter for the prom.

But of course, this day was much different, much more important, than a prom. This was more like a family reunion, though instead of reuniting, I was uniting for the very first time.

“You remember the address, don’t you?” Danny asked as he sifted through the items in my backpack once more, making sure I was fully prepared for the short journey I was about to endure. It wasn’t the journey that required the equipment, but sneaking into my destination unnoticed.

“Yeah. Can I ask you something?” I asked Danny. He nodded. “Why are they in Guyana?”

“Because they’re smart and stupid at the same time,” He simply replied, “and they think we will be looking for them in New York, and we’ll never think to look right here in Guyana. But we’re one step ahead of them. And they think they’ll be able to keep a better eye on us if they’re here, but we already know that they’re here. So I guess that makes us two steps ahead of them, doesn’t it?”

I nodded without a word. There was no need to approve Danny’s statement—he obviously knew exactly what he was talking about. After all, I was just the bait.

“Yeah, I guess.”

Danny looked up at me knowingly. “Don’t be nervous,” he whispered. “You’ll realize that this is what you needed all along.”

As he said this, I remembered my mother telling me ‘You’ll thank me for this when you get older,’ for various situations.

Well it looks like I can’t thank her ever again for anything, can I?

“I should get going now, before the day gets too busy.” I said, desperately switching the subject. It was 7 o’ clock in the morning, an hour that Danny claimed would be quiet for them. They wouldn’t have much to do this early in the morning, so it would be easy for me to sneak in and…do my job.

Danny nodded. But instead of going toward the door, I went to the back to find Dom. He was in Nicole’s room, watching her paint. The painting was in very early stages; I couldn’t exactly tell what it was supposed to be.

“I’m leaving now,” I said to Dom, though both he and Nicole turned to look at me. Dom walked up to me and hugged me softly, briefly.

“Remember what I told you yesterday.” He said lowly. I nodded.

“I remember.” I replied. I wanted to say that I would never forget, to say that I was doing this all for him, but I didn’t. I walked away and left the house with my fully prepared backpack.

It was now or never.

                                                                     * * *

There was no watch on my wrist, so I had no idea of the time. But by the way the sun was calmly shining and the subtle warmness of the air, I could tell it was about eight o’ clock. I had gotten used to the Guyana weather.

The address he gave me wasn’t exactly accurate. There was no building number, just a block and a description of the house. Two houses sat on the block, one of them much more lavish than the other. I couldn’t exactly decide on which house it was. It could have been the extravagant house, but the other house looks low-key and more like a hideout. So I went with the regular house.