Part Trentotto

Sometimes, you can’t blame people for their own mistakes. You have to correct them instead. Maybe they don’t even realize the mistake they’re making while they make it. You just have to help them realize it.

And that’s what I was doing with Rakim. He was blinded by his fury; he was just being belligerent because he had just been released from jail and wanted to get back at the person who put him there in the first place. His anger and thirst for vengeance was making him say some really stupid things. I would help him snap out of it, though.

As the morning came and everyone began to wake up, I sneakily escaped Nicole’s bedroom and went over to Rakim’s. He was sleeping soundly; even in his sleep though, he seemed to have creases in his forehead from rage.

I sat down on the bed beside him and stroked his French braids, which were more disheveled than usual. As I touched him, his eyes fluttered open and he looked at me blankly. Then he sat up and realized where he was. He spat in the plastic garbage can beside him.

“Good morning,” I said, forcing myself to smile. I was a bit offended by his behavior from yesterday, but I couldn’t fix it without nurturing him.

“Hi.” He said in return. I scooted up a bit on the bed to be closer to him. I looked at him until he finally noticed me staring. “What?”

“Do you not see me here?” I asked roughly. But then I softened my tone. “You’ve kind of been ignoring me.”

He smirked then. I was caught off-guard by his sudden display of emotion. It was a serious contrast from his prior demeanor.

“I was waiting for you to ask,” He smiled even wider then and pulled me beneath him and into a soft, loving kiss. I smiled as I kissed him, my heart warming from the sensation. I thought I would never taste this sweetness on my lips again.

Rakim seemed like he wanted to kiss me much longer, much more passionately, but he pulled away for some unapparent reason. I looked into his eyes, still smiling. His smile was much smaller, just a hint of one. I felt very comfortable beneath him though, feeling his stomach fall and rise against me.

“It’s good to have you back,” I whispered. He pecked my lips softly again before sitting back up.

“It’s good to be back. But I have business to take care of, Tre. I can’t worry about us right now.” He said, getting off of the bed to pull some pants over his basketball shorts.

“What do you mean?” I asked, annoyed with him for leaving the bed.

“You don’t need to know. And don’t you follow me after I leave, either. I’ll be back.” He said. I watched him while he travelled around the room for pieces of clothing.

The hell I won’t, I thought, and hurried to Nicole’s room to get dressed myself. She wasn’t in there, fortunately. I put on some Adidas training pants and a sweater, and rushed out to the main area. Rakim was already there, conversing with Purrp and Bari.

“I just want to kill him—quick and easy. It’s hard for me, thinking about how Tre will feel, but I don’t have a choice. Danny told me she went to see him, but Danny didn’t get to hear what was on the wire. If he told her some things she didn’t need to know…I can’t risk it. He has to die.”

“Yeah, we’re down. But are we enough?” Bari asked. Rakim thought for a second.

“I don’t want to take the whole mob with us.” He said.

“Well we at least need one more person.” Purrp decided. Rakim’s face became a little bitter, and then he sighed.

“Go tell Ferg to get ready. I’ll be outside waiting.” He ordered. Purrp went to fetch Ferg and Rocky and Bari went outside. I knew Rakim didn’t want to have to bring Ferg along to wherever they were going, since he still hadn’t forgiven him for knocking up Izeria. But Ferg was their MVP. He had to come.