Chapter 14: Stay By My Side

The Doctor

Months prior to meeting Jimin...

Jeonghan: Destiny?

Jeongyeon: Oh.

If this was back in the middle school, Jeongyeon would probably become giddy hearing this from Jeonghan. But no. She was nearly in her 30s and very successful in life, nothing could make her heart jump happily aside from her kid.

Jeonghan: What do you think?

She studied him intently. The charm was there and the aura definitely changed. She could see the sincerity and excitement from his eyes that was never there when they dated.

Jeongyeon: *gently pulled her hand from Jeonghan* Hmm, I don't really know. Have you ever guessed why I left your house back then and never talked to you again?

Jeonghan: Not really... but it was all in the past anyway. We were only what... 13-year old students. I moved on from the hurt. I have forgiven you.

Wow. Maybe I was wrong.

Jeongyeon: *snorts* But do you really believe that? The destiny?

Jeonghan: Yes. I waited for this day, for us to meet again. And look, here we are.

Jeongyeon: Jeonghan... *sighs* I guess I should tell you this first. I already have a child.

Jeonghan: M— mwo?

Jeongyeon couldn't read Jeonghan's exact emotions at this moment. It was like he was stuck in between not believing her and wanting to escape ASAP— he was clearly dumbfounded.

Jeongyeon: Ne, is that something that you are open to? Knowing that this child is from another man?

Jeonghan: I— wow. Should I believe you? You're kidding, right? I mean, if you have a child I should've known.

She stared at him again, trying to see the light that she was seeing a while ago and the spark she felt when she heard from Irene that he adored her. It was so sudden but she couldn't feel them any longer. She nodded. She knew he was not the one. He was not her America, she was not his Maxon.

Does he even exist? My America?

Jeongyeon: I don't think that this is destiny. I've learned that Irene is currently into businesses and fashion and the chances that we'd come across each other are really high. Aside from that, we are basically neighbors. How come that you haven't even thought about visiting me or what? I mean, if you like me that much.

Jeonghan: I like you, I swear. *desperate tone obvious* And can't you see? I didn't take the chance to visit you because I know that destiny will make its way if I am really for you.

Jeongyeon: I'm sorry but I think destiny is stupid. There's no such thing as that.

Jeonghan: As if you were not destined as the heir of Yoo?

Jeongyeon: My parents worked hard for it.

Jeonghan: And you did noth— *shocked at his own words* I'm... I'm sorry Jeongyeon. It sounded so wrong. Look... if you have a child, okay... I will learn to love him even if he isn't mine. I will try my best.