16

Going to bed that night had me thinking of high school. Seeing the yearbook and digging up those memories was something I wasn't ready for and I didn't realize that until the moment.

I sat in bed thinking of that night after prom my sophomore year. The entire night was so fun, Rhett and I had the best time.

Afterwards he took me to this secret spot he had. His dad and him built a small cabin by this little lake a few miles into the woods. It's so beautiful, the most peaceful place I've been to.

Flashback to prom night:
"I've never brought anyone else here before," Rhett said as he pulled up to the cabin "i come here for peace and quiet, when I can't think yanno?"
"Thank you for bringing me here, I appreciate you sharing this with me." I say, squeezing his hand.

We both got out and he led me to the rather large front door, opening it up to show me the breathtaking interior.

"Wow..." I spoke, trying to find words "you said you and your dad built this?"
"Yeah," Rhett laughed "he said it would be a good way to learn."
"I'm sure." I spoke in shock.

We sat on the couch and turned the tv on, Rhett happened to grab a bottle of expensive tequila from his dads liquor cabinet as well, so we took a few shots and relaxed on the couch.

"Wanna go skinny dipping?"
"I'm game if you are." I said back, surprised at myself but kind of excited at the same time.

His eyes widened and he smiled.

"I'll race ya"

End of flashback.

I hate that I'm thinking about this right now. Why am I thinking about this? Why did they have to find my fucking yearbook? I didn't need these memories resurfacing right now.

I remember what my mom said earlier "everything happens for a reason" but why am I thinking about all of this right now?

I sat there in my bed trying to piece things together then my brain clicked.

Rhett.

I know where he is. I have to go to him.

Without even thinking my body started moving and I found myself running outside and into the woods.

My wolf knew where I was going before I did, it just felt so natural.

After a few miles I come up to the house, still as beautiful as I remember. I could smell him so I knew he was here. My body was walking up to the front door before my brain could catch up.

Before I knocked the front door flung open.

Rhett was standing in front of me, no shirt on, his brows were scrunched in confusion as I stood there before him.

"Hi" I say innocently.
"Why are you here Rhiannon?" He spoke sounded drained and exhausted.
"I just felt I should be with you and then one thing led to another and now I'm standing on your front porch."

He looked me in the eyes, trying to decide if he wanted to let me in or not, luckily he decided to open the door a little more for me to slide in.

I walked over the couch, remembering one of the last times I was here with him; I was a senior, he had just graduated.

Rhett ended up finding a spot on the couch next to me, obviously feeling the comfort of having his mate in the same room as him.

"How are you doing Rhett? I've been worried about you." I say, turning to him.

"I'm making it through. I just feel more guilt than anything. I had one fucking job yanno, to keep my Luna safe and I couldn't even do that."

Hearing him call scarlet, Luna, made me wince slightly but I ignored it because this wasn't about me.

"You couldn't have known, you did everything right. She knew what to do, at a certain point things are out of your hands, Rhett."
"But I am the alpha, nothing should be too much for me."

I scooted closer to him, grabbing his forearms and forcing eye contact.

"You got thousands of our pack members to safety, she knew what she was signing up for being Luna, especially to one of the strongest alphas in America. She did everything she could to save her people and she sacrificed her life to do her job. Her death had meaning, it wasn't for nothing."

He didn't say anything he just stared at me intently, I think he knew deep down that I was right.

With my hands still grasping his forearms I pulled him into a hug and he didn't reject it. He let me embrace him as his arms snaked tightly around me, seeking the comfort and warmth I was giving him.

A connection with your mate is something so unworldly and this was a nice example. He is so angry at himself and the world right now but he's easily calmed down when I'm in his presence. I was happy I could be that anchor for him. I knew how much he was hurting and the thought of leaving him on his own made me sick to my stomach.

I began running my hands through his hair on the back of his head, calming him down. I could feel him relax more into my arms, the tingles were so hard to ignore so I just embraced them. I held onto him tightly as his head was now buried in my chest, my fingers still stroking through his curly dark hair.

I felt so at peace right now, like this is what I was supposed to be doing; comforting him whenever he needs me to.

"Thank you for being here." I hear Rhett whisper.
"I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now."

We were quiet for a little bit, just relaxing in the same position, him on top of me as I scratch his head.

"Rhiannon?"
"Hmm?"
"I want you and Weston to move into the pack house with me, I'm ready to be with my son and my true mate...my Luna."