10

"Alright miss Claire, I think you are probably the strongest pup I've ever seen. 4 shots in one day? My arms would be jello." I joked with the little girl sitting on the exam table. She held a lollipop in her mouth and smiled proudly, showing her missing front teeth.

"I know my momma says that I'm waaaayy more tough than my brothers"

I looked over at her mom sitting down in the corner and she just laughed.

"Smart mom" I say, smiling while writing some notes down in her file.

"I'm 5 yanno" Claire said proudly.
"Oh I know, you are so grown up for 5. Are you sure you're not 10?"

Claire laughed and shook her head, her tiny little red curls bounced on her cheeks.

"No I am definitely 5"
"I have a son your age, he's pretty cool like you."
"Oh if he's cool then he would like climbing trees too"

I laughed and nodded "oh he loves climbing trees"

Her mom stands up and helps Claire off of the big exam table.

"I know you haven't been back for a while, getting adjusted is really hard. I've been there. I'm from a completely different pack so I get the huge adjustment period" Claire's mom, Morrisa, spoke.

"Yeah it's been a little hard"
"Well if you ever want to hang out or anything, send me a text. Maybe your boy and Claire can have a play date. She needs someone as wild and rambunctious as she is" she laughed, handing me a ripped off sheet of paper with her number on it.

"Thank you Morrisa, I might have to take you up on that when I'm not so busy working"
"Please, call me Ris," she grabbed Claire's hand and started to walk out of the exam room "and I'm gonna hold you to that"

The rest of the day honestly wasn't that bad. After my last patient, I grabbed all of my things and headed downstairs to the kitchen/living area to find Garrett.

I see him laying sprawled out on the couch while the tv is playing some weird show.

"Hey Garrett!" I yelled slightly.

He got up quick and immediately faced me.

"Hello. I was just resting my eyes"
"I'm sure you were. I'm headed home, am I good to drive by myself or do I need a chaperone?"

He laughed slightly "you're good to go, I'll be here in the morning"
"No morning drive tomorrow?"
"No, he asked me to give you more space and to only keep tabs on you while you're in the pack house or performing pack house duties"

I nodded my head and started to walked towards the back door to go out to my car.

"I'll see you tomorrow then, Garrett"
"Bye Dr. Miller."

Why did he call me doctor? He has been saying my first name since we've known each other. Why has that changed? What made Rhett want to give me more space? Maybe he finally realized how in the wrong he was.

Driving home in silence gave me time to process a lot of things going on right now. Nothing was feeling real, it was like a movie was going on in my head and I just so happened to be one of the main characters.

Why did Rhett have to marry someone? It hurt me so much knowing that he was with her. It hurt me physically too and I couldn't bare it. I want to reject him and move on with my life. I can't be stuck on someone who doesn't want me.

I pull into my parents driveway and immediately get out of my car, walked through the front door, and go straight towards my son who's on the floor in front of the tv watching cartoons.

I leaned down and picked him up. He was getting really big now, I could tell he was about to hit a growth spurt, but I still grabbed him and embraced him in the biggest hug known to man kind.

"Woah momma I can't breathe" Weston sighed while also squeezing me back.

"Sorry buddy, I just missed you today"
"I missed you too but papa said if I watched some cartoons the time would go faster"

I kissed him on the forehead and set him down, running my fingers through his curly hair.

"Did you have a good day with Mimi and papa?"
"Yes and aunt Maziy played some games with me like hide and go seek and some other games too but I don't remember the names"
"Wow that sounds like a lot of fun."
"Ooohh it was" he said with a big smile on his face.

I sat on the couch and waited for dinner to be ready, mom was making cheesy chicken pasta which used to be one of my favorite meals ever.

I cuddled next to Weston on the couch and noticed a car door close.

Just as I was about to ask if we were expecting someone I heard a knock on the door and immediately went to go open it. I knew who it was before I could open it.

Opening the door I see him standing in front of me. White t-shirt that clung to his biceps and denim jeans that sat perfectly on his lower half.

"What are you doing here?"
"You're mom invited me for dinner"

My blood started to boil as I looked at mom cooking in the kitchen. She made eye contact with me and gave me a sheepish smile and mouthed "sorry."

"You didn't mention anything earlier." I said coldly as I let him in the house.
"Cause I knew you'd say not to come"

Rhett's eyes immediately go towards the couch where Weston was sitting, staring in awe at the alpha.

"Greetings alpha" Weston said in a shy voice

Rhett walked over towards the couch and sat next to Weston. West looked like he was seeing one of his superhero's in real life.

"Hey Weston" he said softly, smiling with his beautifully white teeth.
"My uncle Easton said that you are badass"
"WESTON!" I shout but everyone started laughing.

"Sorry I didn't think he would repeat that." Easton said sheepishly, a tinge of pink tinted his cheeks.

"You have curly hair like me. Does that mean I'm gonna be alpha too?"

Rhett looked at me waiting for me to say something but I didn't. He should be the one to figure out what to say. After all, he kind of put himself into this position by coming over.

"One day you will be just as strong as me, if not stronger. You'd be able to rule a pack like Blue Moon with your eyes closed. You just need a great trainer to help you."
"Wow...who will train me?"

I was momentarily shocked cause I didn't think Rhett would have said any of those things but what he said next almost put me on the flood.

"I'm gonna train you, bud, if it's okay with your mom at least"