Chapter II

For a second I am completely in shock, I look at the comments again and I hope the comment disappears upwards, but it seems to stay there forever. The more I stare at the comment, the more awkward it gets so I use my thumb to scroll the comment section. While I'm slowly scrolling I just keep smiling, I end up seeing another question so I answer that one instead.

"Is it patat or friet?".

Another useless question, but it's clearly important to the Dutch. It's almost the same as the 'pop or soda' question in the US, but with fries. I doubt before a bit before answering. "Definitely friet".

I scroll down in the comments and instead of seeing people fight over the fact I call fries friet, they are talking about me staring at Jesse's ass. Loads of people comment that they've seen as well, and I try my best not to freak out. Remember to breathe Rob, don't start hyperventilating.

"Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it 👀". Before finishing reading the comment I realize it's @jesseklaver who commented. I blink a few times and in an attempt to save my ass from this situation, I smile at the camera and simply end the livestream. Without saying a word. I mean, it'd be even more awkward if I said something.

My yoghurt with fruits is getting soggy and I haven't touched it yet, but I'm not hungry anymore. It'd be a waste of food if I gave it back to the catering company so I decide to take it upstairs with me. It normally takes a few minutes to go from the cafeteria to my office but it feels like it takes me 10 minutes at least. And it also feels like it's a walk of shame. It's not like other politicians are gonna watch my livestream, except for Jesse fucking Klaver.

When I finally reach my office I sit down and take a deep breath. I really fucked up, I look at my phone and I realized Sjoerd texted me back earlier. Just an eggplant emoji. Oh. Just what I needed to be honest. Thank god he hasn't texted me yet about the Instagram Live. He usually watches my livestreams but I really hope he didn't watch this one. Only 600 people were watching, or maybe 6000. I really can't think clear anymore.

For some reason I'm curious about what people are saying on social media, I mean if no one screen recorded the Instagram Live I should be fine. The first app I open is Twitter, and I type in Rob Jetten. Nothing weird pops up, and I am very relieved to see that. Maybe it's too early to tell.
Maybe I should check Instagram, but my gut feeling tells me not to. Before I even realize I end up biting my nails, which is an old habit of mine.

I should've never gone live on Instagram, and I should've gone home after the meeting with the party. I text my boyfriend Sjoerd that I'll be home within 2 hours. It's usually an 90 minutes drive from The Hague to my home but traffic can be very unpredictable at times.
The soggy yoghurt will be even soggier when I get home, so with a heavy heart I pour the yoghurt into the trashcan. I promise I'll do better Mother Nature next time.

I pack my stuff and put on an extra jacket and walk out of the door of my office. While walking down the hallway I put my empty bowl on a tray, which I believe I dirty. I say goodbye to my coworkers and thankfully no one says something about the Instagram Live.

For a solid minute I forget my party is located in the same building as Jesse's party. I swear to God, I better not walk into him when heading home. Maybe that man is already at home.
When walking down the stairs I nearly bump into Kauthar Bouchallikht, a colleague of Jesse. She smiles at me and greets me.

"You'd think that you knew how to properly end an Instagram Live", she says, clearly teasing me. I try not to change my facial expressions too much, but if she knows, then Jesse must know too. "I mean, you've been live on Instagram several times. And you ended this one so, abrupt".

"Oh god, this is much worse than I thought", I say. I run my hand through my gelled hair. I wonder if she watched when it actually happened or if it's already being shared on social media. "You know I have a boyfri-".