Chapter IV

Jesse Klaver's POV

I watch how Rob's shaking hands are holding my iPhone and his left thumb keeps tapping the play button over and over again. He shakes his head and closes his eyes, and honestly, he makes me even more nervous. We're both standing in my office and the door isn't all the way shut, so I stand up to close it.

"Rob, there's nothing you can do about it", I try to say calmly. I know it's its not gonna help the situation end but if he replays the video one more time I might as well grab the phone out of his hands and throw it against the wall, maybe not since it's my phone. "Not me, not you".

Rob seems zoned out and taps the screens again. The video plays once again and that's it, I walk over to Rob and grab my phone out of his hands. He looks up and looks empty and lost. His dark brown eyes aren't the same as a few hours ago. His eyes are red but I don't think Rob has cried. I try not to get emotional about this situation so I walk over to my desk to put the phone there.

"I fucked up", Rob says. Although he's trying his best to apologize, I can't help but smile a bit at the word he used. Rob is just such a good guy in general, but the thing is, he just says whatsoever is on his mind without thinking twice. He looks at me again and tucks at his pants to get a wrinkle out. "I can't believe I actually said that".

I can hear my phone vibrate on the hardwood desk and I doubt a bit before looking at the screen: it's Jolein. I sigh, but I have no choice but to answer it. I slide the bar to answer it. It's quiet on the other side but I don't feel like starting the conversation, she's the one who called me first.

"So, what's going on?" Jolein asks, she's surprisingly calm. I try to think but to be honest, I don't even know what's going on. And whether she's talking about Rob saying we had sex or about him staring at my ass. Because this all happened in a span of a few hours, so him staring at my ass is already old news.

So much has happened this day, including the kiss. It was such a nice moment, and it was even better than I imagined it'd be. His lips were soft and not crusty at all. When his fingers were twisting my curly hair, I got a boner. I don't know he noticed since he just continued to kiss me even harder.

"Jesse", I get snapped out of my thoughts and Jolein's voice isn't as calm as it was a few seconds ago. Get your shit together, Jesse. "One more time, what's going on?".

I sigh and I look at Rob who's still zoned out. I try to explain what happened the past few hours globally, except for the kiss. No one needs to know about that, that's something special between me and Rob. So everything from what happened at the Parliamentary Room to the leaked conversation we had in my office. My relationship with Jolein has always been about transparency and mutual respect. It's not like we have an open relationship, but just because she's my wife doesn't mean she can't do anything anymore and vise versa. When I tell her what happens I notice how she's genuinely listening because of little oh's and mhm'.

"But if you didn't have sex with him, why would he say that?". I see where Jolein is coming from, because it's weird that he said that but once again, Rob just says whatever pops into his head. I look over at Rob and he hasn't moved ever since, so I walk over to him and sit down in a seat next to him.

"Look Jolein, I promise you from the bottom of my heart, I don't know why he said that", I say honestly, I look over at Rob and he seems to relax a bit, he's still quiet and overthinking. "I was just as surprised as you are when I heard him say that, but I just knew it was a joke".

Rob looks at me, and frowns. Maybe it was just a joke, because why would he have sex with me when he has a boyfriend? And why would he want to have sex with me out of all people? A married man.

Jolein just mumbles something I don't understand but I don't think she's mad at me. She's just kind and so selfless. She truly sees the good in people and I honestly wish there were more people like her in this world. How she's focused on changing the world for the better, she shows our kids to see the beauty of Mother Nature and to respect our planet because we only got one and we're not treating her right.
She inspires me every day, and it's because of her that I am the person I am today.

Even though I might have cheated on her by kissing Rob, the male version of Jolein. Well, when it comes down to appearance they're not even close but they have the exact same personal traits. I guess that's why me and Rob got so close. It's because of him that I believe there are good people in this world, people who dare to make a change in this world.

I say goodbye to Jolein and thank her for the conversation we had, it really helped. Although I feel sorry for Rob, my wife definitely believes I didn't have sex with Rob. But I don't think Sjoerd will be that understanding, considering I'm a male his boyfriend said to had "sex" with.

I look at my phone after ending the phone call and i notice it's getting 6:40 p.m., Rob is still sitting in the seat and hasn't moved a bone. I'm worried about him to be honest, and I wonder if he talked to Sjoerd about this all.

"Rob, you have to face the consequences", I look at Rob and he seems to listen. He takes a couple of deep breaths and I put a hand on his knee. "I know this will be the toughest phone call ever, but trust me: it'll give you much more peace".

"You clearly don't get it, my boyfriend thinks I had sex with another man", Rob says. He takes another deep breath and puts his hand through his gelled hair, making it messy. "You're a straight man and of course your wife simply believes you when you tell her you didn't have sex with me".

He is right and I know it's easier for me to deny everything and to speak the truth. I take a deep breath as well and I just don't want to say 'I know the feeling' because I don't. I can only imagine what it is like for Rob, but that won't make him feel any better. Rob grabs his phone and takes another deep breath.

"You can go to the other room, I use it as a closet", I say while pointing at a dark wooden double door inside of my office. I probably haven't cleaned it in forever, because it used to be an extra office for an assistant but I don't have one so it's a closet now.

"After all these years, I can't believe I'm going back into the closet", Rob says while getting out of the seat and dialing Sjoerd. I can't help but laugh as he makes his way to the 'closet', even in the strangest situation he manages to lighten the mood. I wish him luck and tell him that if he needs anything I'm there for him.