Ghostly Smile

The bell dismisses us to homeroom, its chimes are my relief.I must look like a fool, overreacting and all.I mean, Greyson isn't mine and i'm not his and maybe I was wrong when I thought Aspen was mine and I was hers; or maybe she grew up and I was still stuck in Sophomore year.

No, shut up. I'm not mad. I'm not hurt. If Aspens happy, I should be happy.

In high school people are suppose to pay attention to themselves and mind their own business, the freshies haven't received the memo yet, of course, and their little pixelated eyes are now focused on me.

"Hey Lory wait up a sec?" Aspen snatches my furiously swinging left arm and spins me around. She didn't come after me at first, but after a couple second of mumbling with the boys in black she rushed to me.

"So you're probably wondering what that was?" She says pulling me into a corner by a classroom door.

Room 129, Ms. Hill

"No its okay, the story tells itself." I tell that lie to myself outloud.

Don't look into her eyes.

"So are you mad? Do you want to talk about it later?" She tries to sound remorseful but her mature voice lacks emotion. He eyes widen and her pupils dilate.

Crap, why'd you look?

"No it's fine." I respond quickly darting my eyes to the ground. Aspen is taller than me, and I hate it because i'm always looking up to her.

And that was the truth, partially. When I say it's fine I mean I don't want to talk about it. I don't see a reason to talk about it and honestly, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it. Whatever happened happened, at first I was wondering why, and how could this happen, but I already know how it happened, he was Greyson, he was manipulative and and he could get any girl he wished for no matter what he had done and I just have to accept that. And she was Aspen, she was outgoing and didn't care, about anything or anyone.

"See you in whatever class we may have together!" I give her a hug before she can say anything else and begin to search for room 129, Ms. Hill. I get half way down the hall when I realize I was already there, I turn around to see if Aspen was still there but her long strides have already gotten her to the staircase. Aspens strut consisted of big confident strides that swung her hips side to side.

Since elementary school the homeroom for M was never too full, there's only a few of us M's because there's only a few black and Hispanic people here, and of course since I'm mixed I was given an M last name. I walk into the room and I'm surprised to recognize everyone in it except three people. I sit in the farthest desk cluster where I know I will not feel anyone's red hot judgmental eyes beating down on me.

"I'm assuming you're Elora Memphis?" A short, wide hipped woman wobbled over to me.

Was I that late? I thought they started taking attendance after the late bell.

"And I'm guessing your Ms. Hill." I sass her back, my sassy teacher senses are going off.

I've always had a really bad attitude. I'm not sure where I got it from, I believe it is a result of my father's temper and my moms passive aggressiveness. She opens her mouth preparing to give me a huge lecture but before I can sit down and listen to that I have to pee.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I interrupt her breath and get up to exit the classroom. The walk to the bathroom is longer then anticipated, i'm not sure if its because of the condensation in my eyes or because of the random weight of the world coming down on me.

Remember, its all in your head.

I look up and let the tears swim back into my head like little evacuating spermies. I'm not going to be the weird emo kids that cries in the bathroom. If only I could do something about the world crashing down on me that would be great.