Farewell to a Wicked King

When Zaria returned to the palace there was huge commotion in process. Apparently it had erupted over the fact that one of the three generals who had taken over the kingdom was found dead in the palace. It was determined that he was killed by poisoning. There immediately erupted a disagreement between the younger of the generals with the oldest of the three as to who was responsible by the assassination. The guards were on permanent high alert, though they allowed Zaria to enter unnoticed when she arrived, and to return to her chamber.

            It seemed there were already those who had strong alliances and familial connections with each of the new surviving tyrants. And because of this bonding there were already the early signs of serious division among the Pazyryk people in the streets. Instability and an internal war seemed imminent to many. For a full week, the tension mounted and finally, the wise Krido was called to weigh in on the impending chaos. He eventually negotiated a truce between the two rivals to at least appear that they would share the power in order to restore peace and tranquility throughout the Scythian territories.

            The spring had arrived early and as the heavy snow melted, bodies from the plague were quickly being buried, creating a more positive feeling among the people, anxious to get out and celebrate the coming of more clement weather.  The citizens who called themselves Trendah,  meaning 'foxes,' were advocates of the younger general, a warrior named Lothroan. The others, aligned with more traditional ideas of the Pyzyryk citizens, were called Ursrah, meaning 'bears.' The general who led this austere, conservative ideology of the newly occupied palace was named Bahadur.

            On one occasion while in passing, Krido stopped Zaria in the palace and took her aside.

            "Princess Zaria . . . I see you are staying at the fringes of the citadel these difficult  times. And it has given you a freer reign, I'm sure. I hope you have not forgotten your purpose here to your leaders and their people."

            "Of course not. I am here, wise counselor. I have just decided not to show any favouritism to either Lothroan or Bahadur. As you remember I am not one to love a Scythian king."

            "Nevertheless, your respect and a greater willingness to assist them should be expected, fair princess."

            "I hardly think a slave such as myself . . . with a false title and useless powers should be anything our new leaders would want to concern themselves with now. Their own battle for power dominates the activities of the palace, as you well know, Krido. It leaves me happily detached. But I do have my own concerns."

            "Which are?"

            "The older general, Bahadur . . . his mind will be like Sharvur's, I am sure. He will haplessly respect that my virginity acts as a guardian here. And for this I do not worry of him . . . unless his mind is filled with the same cruelty and love of domination as Sharvur's was."

            "There is rare chance of that," Krido replied. "For Sharvur was one of a kind. A truly troubled man. He was sick in his thinking . . . and sadly, his ways with women. But this only contributed to his failings. He is locked away now where he will die of deprivation."

            "Yes. But this other new leader . . . Lothroan. He is young, and of a new mind. He may not put any truth into my powers of innocence . . .as you and I do not. This will only leave me at a greater danger of becoming his sex slave as Sharvur would have surely done . . . had not his superstitious ideas held him back from that final act with me."

            "You have a point, princess. Your prescience goes hand in hand with your beauty. But as you are still a slave . . . you will have to endure what ever is your fate. Be it with king or kings. We are all bound to what our future holds."