Branka's Dream

To Branka's surprise when she was led to the tent complex that Moshtok lived in, she was told and discovered that he lived alone. Though he was twenty-two years old, there were two events over the the previous year that left him in this solitary state. The recent death of his mother—his father had been killed years before while on a raiding party in the West, and his sister--two years younger than he, who had become the recent mate of a man in the Pazyryk community. This sister Tahime, was there at his side when Branka entered with one of the women attendants assigned to watch over her movements outside the palace.

            "How are you, dear teacher," Branka said upon greeting him at the entryway of the tent.

            Moshtok looked up at her with the morning light streaming through. He did not look well. He had been sleeping deeply and was very pale. It was obvious he still suffered greatly from the pain brought on by the deadly arrow, possibly poisoned, and removed so deftly by Zaria, the day before.

           "Are you the slave who will attend to my brother?" Tahime, asked. The young woman had piercing dark eyes and a thicker body than Branka's. She was also less fair complexioned than the Slavic girl, with smooth, olive tinted skin.

            For the moment Branka remained speechless, hoping her attendant or Moshtok would enter into the dialogue.

            "Yes." Branka finally answered. His sister Tahime seemed dour in her mood, but Branka could see she shared the same gentle facial features which made her brother so endearing.

            "I have permission from the king to see him," she added ". . . each day until he recovers."

            "Yes. So I have heard," Tahime replied in an irritated voice. She now looked critically over Branka's supple and youthful body. "And just how do you intend to help him? I see you have brought nothing with you here."

            Moshtok spoke up with great effort from the bed. "Tahime . . . step back. Branka has already helped me greatly. She was there to assist when the arrow was taken out. And now she is very kind to take on this burden."

            "I will bring with me tomorrow herbs and ointments," Branka said. "The princess Zaria will give them to me for Moshtok. He will be much improved in several days."

            "I have washed his wound already for this day,' Tahime said emphatically. "And fed my brother warm soup and dried meat. I can not see why he shall need more attention."

            "Tahime, you need to be with the man who chose you now  . . . I have told you not to care for me more. Go back to his home. I will be fine here. Your life has changed. It has for all of us."   

            His sister slowly stepped aside and allowed Branka to approach the bed.

            "Time will heal my body and drink away my pain, Tahime. Branka will help that time pass."

            Moshtok managed to smile again as Branka stood before him.

            "Please go, sister.  Branka, and the other two slaves were my students. This has been the orders of Sharvur. I assure you, Branka means us no harm. . . . for she is as gentle and sweet as a flower. It pleases me that she will give me company here each day until I am stronger."

            Suddenly a tall man about the age of Moshtok pushed his head and shoulders into to the tent. When Tahime saw him she quickly went to his side and appeared ready to leave.