Attack from the East

Another two moons had passed and the girls had settled further into their new lives. They were now more careful not to cross Sharvur in his demands to have them dance more beautifully each night in his bedchamber. He had not molested them again since that terrible night, yet they never knew when that side of his nature would return. Zaria still found it dificutlt to sit diligently next to him on his bed. Often he would engage her in simple conversation, testing her new acquisition of his language. When ever these conversations and the dancing of Branka and Svetlana finally wearied him, he would dismiss the girls and musician from his bedroom for the night.

It was just before the king had retired as he usually did, late one evening, when suddenly a bloodied male messenger came running into the room and threw himself on the floor, apologizing for interrupting the king in his private bedchamber.

"Majesty! You must come down to the great hall. Meet with one of your generals. He reports that our city below is under attack!"

Sharvur reached under his bed and procured a large, iron saber. He slipped on his shoes and followed the messenger out. The three girls quickly ran down the hallway to find the palace was full of Sharvur's soldiers guarding the corners of passageways inside, obviously preparing for a siege of the inner works of the fortress. Zaria ran first, with Branka and Svetlana breathless and close behind. They followed the stairs up to their stone bathing area where they could look down on the tent cities below.

The ugly sound of battle was raging. It brought back terrible memories the girls' own village being pillaged-a terrible time, when their families were killed and they were abducted by Sharvur's soldiers. Now it was his kingdom which was under seige and the 'fog of war' destroyed all serenity of night. The girl heard the terrible sound of swords hitting leather and bronze shields and sometimes the softer impact of flesh and bones, followed by the haunting screams they stil recalled. There were shrieks of children and women running before the horses of the Asian invaders from the East. Even in the moonlight and a starlit they could see the clouds of dust thrown into the air by the marauders' horses and the innocent citizens of Sharvur's kingdom being trampled and struck down.

Suddenly out of the south came the reinforcements of Sharvur's army, protectors of one of his other tent cities. These men galloped forward and simultaneously sent a wall of arrows toward the Eastern aggressors with their deadly bows. The girls could now see great numbers of the enemy falling off their horses and being struck by swords on the ground. The sound of the dying men's cries and moans was horrific tand unforgettable to hear.

And after several more minutes of hysterical combat-it was all over. The Asians retreated like the wiind back toward the mountains from where they had come. There was a pale light hovering over the snow-covered peaks at that hour, signaling the sun was going to rise again on Sharvur's kingdom. His soldiers had been victorious in repelling once more the tribal warriors who roamed their own territories far to the east.

For the next day the Pazyryk people worked with the soldiers collecting the dead and injured of both the Asian horsemen and Sharvur's people caught up in the siege. There was now no question that the skirmish ended in a victory for Sharvur, as the majority of his citisens and the entrire palace was spared.

When the girls went down to met Moshtok that morning to see if there would even be a lesson that day, they found him distressed and unable to carry on with his duties.

"Why are you so sad, Moshtok?" Asked Zaria, when the young man met them in one of the small gardens Sharvur used for contemplation.

"I am not able to teach you today," he said, barely looking into any of their faces. "As you know they are preparing for the burials of our people and soldiers today."

The girls nodded in unison.

"And one of those killed was my uncle . . . Sharvur's cousin, Revlur. He was one of the twins in the family. Both of them were serving as high commanders in Sharvur's military. Revlur was killed down there, near the city, defending our people last night. He was stuck by an arrow in the neck."

Zaria closed her eyes and tried to block out the image of this.

"He will be buried in six days as a hero," Moshtok went on, speaking now as if to himself. "Along with the horse he has had for ten years."

The girls felt helpless to say more.

" His brother is named Murka. They say he defended the palace bravely last night. Killing many in the Asian horde which tried to break in."

They listened to the details about the siege which took place in the darkness, and understood well how both Sharvur and Moshtok felt about their loss.

"We owe our defense of the palace to Murka and his band of warriors, " Mostok finally added, visibly moved by his courage.. "Sharvur will honor him as a hero when the burials are past and our mourning is complete."

The girls were silent.

"Murka and Revlur used to throw me between them like a puppy when I was only a boy. They both adored me and later taught me how to hunt wild boar. I will greatly miss Revlur now."

Mostok lowered his head and took a deep breath.

" Girls, my sadness is too great to teach you these days. You are free to go."

Zaria put her hand on his. And then she leaned over and kissed Mostok's cheek.

"I will always comfort you, Mostok. You have been the most kind to us here. You yourself have felt the fear of being stolen away from your people. That has given you great feelings for us. Now we must give you the same. We all share this feeling of grief you have."

"Zaria, you must know.," he said looking up slowly, ". . .Sharvur is telling everone that the kingdom was spared last night because of you."

Branka and Svetlana quickly looked into Zaria's eyes.

"It is the magic which Krido told," he added. "The old shaman was right! It all began back when you were chosen by him.to be Sharvur's special slave."

Zaria looked perplexed. "But . . . I don't see how. . . ."

"He and many others now put faith in this prophesy about you, Zaria. As long as you are to be untouched by Sharvur . . . or any man sexually, our kindom shall remain safe from our enemies."

She looked at her two friends in confusion and anger.

"He will soon reward you in some way, once the grieving is over for our dead." Mostok said. "For proving to us this prophesy to be true."

This time mostok put his hand on top of hers. He looked deeply into her youthful face.

"But I can not say if this is the best . . . or the worst for you. Now go . . . all of you . . .and be loyal to our king. He will be both generous and difficult these days."

* * *