Gifts of the King

For the next five days the kingdom was in mourning for the people killed and soldiers lost to the Asian tribe from the East. While most of those from the tent city were buried by their families on a flat hilltop not far from the foot of the Altai Mountain range, the others like Revlur, deemed as heroes by their king, were afforded a regal burial on a different plateau. It was a place they called in their Scythian tongue, the "Eternal Doorway." It was a hallowed area reserved for the most revered of their clan to be put to rest. And it was their assumption and belief system that these heroic souls would depart to another realm called the "Land of the Chosen." Only former kings, great warriors, wives of the king, great myth-tellers, and sometime princesses were buried here.

            It took two days for the citizens of Sharvur's citizenry to pile high the great mounds of earth on top of the burial chambers preserved in the cold ground. After this the people of his domain formed caravans back by horses and crude wagons across the barren plain to the foot of the stone mountain which housed his palace of tunnels and passageways.

            On the seventh day following the siege, when Sharvur's kingdom repelled the Asians, he called for a large banquet to take place, honoring his generals and their families in the great hall of his palace. It was made clear to Branka, Svetlana and Zaria that they must also attend this gala night, dressed in their finest apparel made by Sharvur's slaves specifically for each of them. As the hour of the gathering approached the girls nervously speculated as to why they would be in attendance at such a meeting of Sharvur's most powerful and prestigious families.

            When the time finally came for the sumptuous food and drink to be brought out, the three girls were seated at a place unnoticed by the crowd, at the orders one of Sharvur's assistants. Suddenly to the sound of joyous music heralded in by a procession of flute players and drummers, Sharvur entered the hall wearing all red and donning a tall pointed hat, a symbol of prominence. Everyone stood silent in his presence as he made his way to an elevated platform in the center of the room. There he held up both hands while the crowd did the same in greeting him. After turning a complete circle, acknowledging all of his select guests, he dropped his hands, signaling everyone so be seated once more. In a loud voice, which the girls had never heard before, Sharvur addressed his subjects.  His voice was joyous and uplifting. He praised their efforts to maintain a strong society and thanked them all for their courage and ferocity in successfully thwarting their Eastern enemy some eight days before.

            "And now it is time for you all to know that we the Pazyryk have been blessed with a very special gift from the West," he said, much to the intrigue of the gathering. 

            The girls held their breath with anxiety as to what he would say next to the large crowd.

            "My faithful and ever-wise counselor Krido selected for me sometime ago a very beautiful and exceptional slave. She was chosen out of three which were brought to me as gifts. Her presence, along with her two friends, have been kept in this palace for over six moons."

            The girls looked at each other in trepidation as Sharvur seemed ready to announce a decree which would obviously affect each of their lives, perhaps forever.

            "This young woman has been blessed with a power, proven eight days ago, and which I am very grateful to possess in my kingdom." he told them. "And that is the power of tranquility and peace for the Pazyryk people. It is a power which, if never defiled, will insure the continued safety and happiness of all of you, my people."

            The crowd began to whisper regarding this announcement incessantly and was becoming observably restive. Sharvur raised his hands to immediately silence them. "This girl I will bring forward now . . . so that you may recognize her this day forward . . . as my princess."