Chapter 1: Jasper and Ivory

This is my first fanfiction. It is what a regular Hunger Games would be like, only with 24 POVs. It may not be that good, as I am only twelve years old.                                                                             

                                                                                  Jasper

I sit nervously in the District 1 square. I know, that today I had to volunteer. Unlike most districts, ours is very beautiful. Lovely clothes, precious gems, and all sorts of luxurious items can be spotted everywhere. My family used to be one of the many richer people in our district, which was how we had enough money to let me attend the Training Academy. Although strong, I didn't see the point. You don't have a guarantee of survival, so why risk your life? That was what I thought, until all our family's money was lost. Stolen, probably. My father traded everything we had left for a small cottage, and our money ran out weeks ago. My older brother pressured me into volunteering. I sit with anticipation of what is going to happen next. Even though I'm a Career, I've always been soft, and never liked resorting to violence. How I'm going to survive the next weeks is a mystery. 

The announcer begins by wishing us Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor. Then, she calls out the names for the girls. Like usual, a name is called, and a girl, Ivory Dean, steps up to volunteer. She has deep blue eyes, flowing blonde curls, and a tall and slender body. Confidently, she walks up the stage. Then, she calls out the boy tribute and asks for volunteers. I can't do it. I can't do it. I can't do it. My brother does it for me. He shouts, "I volunteer as tribute." "What's your name, dear?" the announcer calls. "Jasper Farrow," replies my brother. Then, I know I have no choice. I walk up the stage, trying not to betray the fear that has overcome me. 

After shaking hands with the girl, I go in to say my final goodbyes to my family. My mother, too sick to know what is happening, cannot come. But, my father and brother are there. My brother begins to rant about how I could have jeopardized our lives by not volunteering. Thankfully, my father waves his hand. An order to keep quiet. They both embrace me, tell me they love me, and wish me luck, and I am about to get teary, so I wipe my eyes on a hankerchief my brother gives me. The Peacekeeper comes to announce that our time is up. No one else comes to visit, so I clutch a velvet pillow and sob silently, until the Peacekeeper takes us to the train. My father and brother have as good as killed me, I think, as I head to my room.

                                                                               Ivory

Sitting in the mirror at home, I carefully arrange my curls. I apply a light dab of makeup here and there, enough to highlight my features. Not too much, because I am already beautiful without it. I want to enter the games because I want to win, and have all the glory and fame. Not that I am particularly good at weaponry, but who cares? I'll be fighting a bunch of frightened kids. And the Careers... I'll figure that out as I go. 

Quickly, I fasten a pretty silver necklace with a big ruby to my neck, and make my way to the city square. I wait for the announcer to begin the Reaping, and when she calls on the girl's name, without a moment's hesitation, I volunteer. The announcer asks for my name, and I give it to her. "Ivory Dean," I say, and head to the stage. 

From up there, I see the rest of the ceremony. Like always, a name is called, and a volunteer steps up. It's a boy apparently named Jasper. With his mousy hair, dark eyes, and medium height, he's very forgettable. I've seen him around at training. Although he is good with a dagger and javelin, he's pretty medicore with anything else, and doesn't seem to enjoy fighting. He, at least, will be an easy opponent to eliminate. I go to say my goodbyes to family.