Chapter 19, Part 1: The Bloodbath

District 1:

                                                                                           Jasper

I really don't want to do this, but the Careers have made it clear that to join them, I'll have to kill at least one person. If I don't, they kill me. As the timer ticks down, I scan the area, looking for a weapon. There, in the center, lies a short sword. It's perfect for me, I think, as I position myself to run and grab it. The timer goes off and I run, but the District 9 girl gets there first. I struggle for the weapon, and finally grab it, and use it to kill the girl. My hands are shaking as I run to the safety of the Cornucopia.

                                                                                            Ivory

The moment the Games begin, I'm suddenly terrified, as all memory of my training dissapears. I can't do this. I can't do this. I can't do this. So, instead I hope to run into the safety of the Cornucopia, before I remember that I have to make at least one kill. The District 8 boy still hasn't moved a step. I throw a knife at him, but miss. He tries to run away, but I catch him and choke him. Then, I wait in one corner until the battle is over.

                                                                                     District 2

                                                                                          Blade

I'm waiting in anticipation as the timer shows 3,2, then finally 1. I run down to a weapon and start killing the other tributes. The District 6 male is first to die, with his anguished female counterpart too busy grieving to notice me from behind when I strike her with my sword. When that is done, I look for my next target. Finally, I find the tiny District 7 girl and kill her. Eventually, everyone has either ran away or been killed, so I gather with all the other Careers.

                                                                                           Hera

The timer rings, and I head to the nearest bow and arrow, picking up some throwing knives on the way. Scanning the area for targets, I find the District 12 girl. She seems to have abandoned her dead ally, and is running towards the piney mountain forests. I pick up a knife and throw it at her. It hits a tree as she runs away. I throw another one, and she dies. Both tributes from 11 are next to go. They don't put up a fight. Finally, the boy from District 7 dies, as we clear out and Marin gathers all 13 bodies in a corner so the hovercraft can pick them up.

                                                                                     District 3

                                                                                         Krypto

As soon as the timer rings, I run, desperately searching for Kidra. Meanwhile, I manage to scoop up a small first aid kit and some iodine. Kidra comes not long after, carrying a small pack and a knife, which she hands to me. After finding our District 5 allies, we clear out and run into the woods.

                                                                                          Kidra

As soon as the buzzer rings, I run in the general direction of where I saw Krypto last, and meanwhile, I pick up an empty pack and a small knife. I'm just thinking how he might be dead and I should just run into the forest before it's too late, when he shows up. Full with relief, we find our other allies and we head into the woods.

                                                                                 District 4

                                                                                   Caspian

Even though I've seen the Games before, and know how brutal they can be, nothing can prepare me for the huge masses of dead bodies in front of me. To stay in one place is to die, so I shakily walk towards the only trident. Remembering the rule to kill at least one person, I throw the trident at Cinderli, from District 10. She easily dodges it and aims to shoot me with her bow and arrows. I know that I will die know. I just wish I had seen my family one last time.

                                                                                   Marin

It's too dangerous to kill District 1 in the bloodbath, because too many things could go wrong. But I still need to joing the Careers, so I look for targets. Hera and I fight side by side, and she makes four kills, although I manage to kill the District 9 boy and the District 12 boy. Not as many kills as I hoped, but still more than enough. Finally, the bloodbath ends and I drag the bodies to one corner, where I find a surprise waiting for me.

                                                                           District 5

                                                                              Warren

I find Zara easily, and we run towards our useless allies. A Career is chasing us, I think it's District 1, and I don't have any weapons. Zara hands me a rock, and I throw it at her. It lands on her face, and I smile when I see that it drew blood. She goes away as I pick up a pack, two knives, and a spear. After handing Zara one of the knifes, we go to our allies and head to the woods.

                                                                               Zara

I'm terrified as I gaze at all the Careers and dead bodies, but Warren grabs me and we run. After we find our allies, we go into the woods. Warren whispers, 

"We're going to have to kill them eventually."

 "I know," I reply.

                                                                            District 6

                                                                                 Jon

I run towards Vicky, but one of the Careers gets there first. He has a smile on his face as he strikes me with his swords. What kind of sadist enjoys killing people? Vicky comes there, and hugs me. 

"Run," I whisper.

She shakes her head and starts to cry.

The last thing I see before I black out is Vicky dying.

                                                                             Vicktoria

No, this can't be happening. No! This wasn't how it was supposed to happen! He was supposed to live. I should have beeen the one to die. I hug him, and hold his hand, as he beggs me to run. I shake my head, and don't see the person behind me as he kills me, and we die, together.