Chapter 3: Krypto and Kidra

Krypto

I'm in a deep slumber, until my twin sister, Kidra, wakes me up. I overslept, and if we don't hurry now, we'll be late. The house feels empty without my father, who's at work, and my mother, who ran away into the woods on the edge of District 3, when she was pregnant with her third child, something that was strictly forbidden. We've managed on our own, our father working hard to support us. We offered to get a job, but he insisted we stay in school.

I comb my ash coloured hair and wash my face. Through our mirror, I can see Kidra and I. Kidra has sandy hair, brown eyes, and is fairly short. I am about medium height, with eyes the same shade as Kidra. We both look fairly unremarkable. "Krypto, my friends are coming after the Reaping. Try to be nice," says Kidra. Kidra is a very social and extroverted person, although she has a slightly above average intelligence. Although Kidra has no ill intentions, these words just remind me of how I don't have any friends, since I'm very quiet and shy in school.

We go to the other thirteen-year-olds, and wait anxiously for the names to be called. The announcer heads to the ball with the names of all the girls, and pulls a piece of paper. My heart nearly stops. It's Kidra.

                                                                                 Kidra

How, could I, of all people be picked? This question repeats itself over and over as I walk through the path to the stage. I am aware that I was bright and happy. Now, I'm sure I appear only as a shell of the person I used to be. Taking deep breaths, I survey the crowd. Everyone goes silent as the announcer heads to the other ball.

She picks a name, and reads it aloud. I finally get a chance to feel what Krypto felt, because his name is written on that paper. This is impossible. The odds of this happening are next to zero. There is only one way this could have happened. I look into Krypto's eyes and know that he knows. 

This Reaping is rigged. There is no way that the Capitol would let our mother's mysterious dissapearance go. We are now being punished for the choices she made, years ago. I threaten to sob. Luckily, Krypto catches me in an embrace. We will die, but we will do it together, he seems to say.