Chapter 14: Train Ride and Tribute Parade, Part 2

District 7

                                                                               Cedar           

I sit in the train, fiddling with some loose threads on my scarf. I can't wait for dinner. Aware of the fact that I haven't eaten a proper meal ever since my parents were alive. But for now, I rest, laying down on the silky sheets. At dinner, I talk a bit with the other tribute, Juniper. My mentor is druk, and her mentor, Johanna Mason, just finished giving her some useful tips. I sleep later, in anticipation of the next day.

After my prep team is done, my stylist brings me my costume. Apparently I am to be dressed as a tree. It's a horrible costume, and I am not thrilled to be parading in front of the entire nation in it. As expected, no one in the audience claps. I'm losing the little hope I have of winning already.

                                                                              Juniper

The train has more luxury than anything in my entire life. I only wish my siblings could enjoy it with me. I wonder if they will have enough to eat. The anxiety about the Games makes me want to get out of here, until I realize I'm starving. I head to dinner. My mentor gives me some helpful advice, and I decide that I am going to try my hardest to win. I owe my family that much.

The next day, after the prep team gets me ready, my stylist brings me my costume: an outfit that makes me look like a bush. It's horrible, but still the finest thing I have worn in my life. No one in the audience cheers. My chances of getting sponsors are just getting smaller.

                                                                          District 8

                                                                               Nylon

On the train, I shower and relax. Here I am free, even if only for a week. No older brothers bullying and controlling me. When it is time for dinner, I head to the dining room and eat until I can't stomach anymore food. My mentor doesn't seem to care for our survival. I tried asking him politely, but he didn't respond. 

When it is time to go to our stylists, the train pulls up. My costume is a suit made of a patchwork of different fabrics and colors. It's not my usual style, but it is creative and bright. It is, at least, better than anything from the other districts. When we parade around, two or three people cheer. I don't blame them. It's not like our costumes are amazing. I sigh. This is going to be a long week.

                                                                                 Lea

The real Lea, my twin, would have loved this train, I think, as I stroke the silken sheets. She had a thing for luxury, while I was more rough and outdoorsy. I miss her with all my heart, and I know that the only way to see her again is to survive the Hunger Games. That is why, at dinner, I wait, hoping for my mentor to give decent advice. Nylon, the boy, asks politely, and I roll my eyes. He is so passive. He is more of a doormat than a person. I ask my mentor aggressively, but he has passed out and is no longer able to give assisstance.