Chapter 11: Durian and Ash

Durian

I get ready for the Reaping, helping my brother by pushing the heavy wheelchair. My brother, Jonas, got paralyzed when he fell off a tree during work. At that time, we were also orphans. Our parents had left us enough money that we could afford her wheelchair, although that left us penniless.

My brother is fourteen-years-old, only one year younger than me. But I still love him more than anything. I wish I could take back what happened that day. But there are more pressing matters. I refused to sign Jonas up for tesserae, but he did it while I wasn't looking. Now, he has twenty slips.

In the Reaping, I watched as a dark-skinned girl volunteered. Then, the boy's name was picked. It was Jonas. I did what I had to. Jonas wouldn't survive a minute with his disability. So I volunteered.

                                                                                       Ash

I was the middle child in our family. My older sister, Cypress, was seventeen and the main supporter of our family after our parents died. We wouldn't last two days without her. I also have a five-year-old brother, who I love dearly.

Cypress hugs me and wishes me luck. She must know that as my first Reaping, today will be very hard for me. I sit as the announcer heads to the ball. She picks a paper. All I'm thinking of is Cypress with her 42 slips. She picks a name, and it is Cypress.

I can't let Cypress in the Games. We would die without her. I volunteer, and wait for my death, if only it means that my siblings will live.