Chapter 10: Ari and Cinderli

Ari

I come down to the kitchen. My world-famous father, Drake Haven is sitting at the table, sipping coffee and eating waffles. My mother lays some breakfast down and we eat. My father is currently the only Hunger Games victor in District 10. There have been three others in the past, but they are all dead now. 

I constantly feel pressurized by my father. He expects me and my younger sister to be as good and successful as he is. So I made my mind. This year I was going to volunteer. My father will finally see that I am worthy of his attenttion. And if my father won, how hard could it be for me to win?

I sit in the Reaping. The announcer is just about to wish us Happy Hunger Games, when there is some commotion. Some Peacekeepers drag a girl with them. She has auburn hair and green eyes. The Peacekeeper shouts, "This girl, Cinderli Blare, was caught trying to cross the fence. The normal penalty would be death. But the Capitol is merciful. Instead, she will be entered into the Games."

I sieze my chance as the announcer is calling the boy's name. "I volunteer!" I shout, and head to the stage. I know that I am going to win. I have to. 

                                                                                    Cinderli

I knew that District 10 wasn't a safe place to live. We were very poor. Not as poor as Districts 11 and 12, but enough that we had to do something about it. My baby brother and father had died of starvation last year. Now, my mother was pregnant, and I couldn't let another sibling die.

We ran into the woods that day. I helped them forage for food, and even speared some fish. We had just almost made it to the outskirts of District 11, when we sense the hovercraft. I hide my family under a shelf of rock, and come in after them. There are thorny bushes blocking it. Ten Peacekeepers come out, each armed to the teeth. Have they seen us, I think.

Oh no. on the bushes leading to the rock, a piece of my mother's sweater has gotten snagged on the thorns. Oh no. I tell my mother to give me her sweater, and she doesn't question me as I tie it on my waist. I hear the Peacekeepers shout, "We know you are here. Come out, or we will bomb the area." I come out. They handcuff me and take me to the hovercraft.

I will undoubtedly be excecuted, I think. At least my family will still be alive. But something unexpected happens. Now, I find myself as the newest tribute in these games, along with the victor's son.