Chapter 22: Tourmaline

"The diamonds glinted under the glare of the chandelier and they looked like a thousand spider eyes." -Kate Chisman

***

Aeldyn reconstruction begins the day after the ball. Idriel marvels at how many elves are contributing to the rebuilding; she picks out elves from Aeldyn, Mirkwood, Rivendell, and even Eldamar. At this rate, she thinks, Aeldyn will be completed by the end of the week!

It's times like these that makes everyone grateful for the magic they possess. Building goes five times faster thanks to different spells that speed up processes that would naturally take hours. Thranduil especially sees this, as he is one to take something so natural to him for granted.

"You know," Thranduil says to Idriel as she supervises, "there is still an offer open for you to merge back with Mirkwood."

Idriel smiles softly. "I know; it's always been there. But I truly believe that everyone was happy in Aeldyn, and who am I to take that away?"

Thranduil nods understandingly. "I expected you to say something along those lines. I'm glad to see you stepping back, though. This is dangerous territory for you right now."

Idriel frowns slightly. "I want to help, but it seems like every time I try, someone is telling me to be careful. And I need to be, so reminders are appreciated, but standing here watching is making me antsy."

Wrapping an arm around her shoulders, Thranduil kisses the top of her head. "But you know what?" She looks up at him with shiny green eyes. "After they're finished, you'll have the grandest job of all. Ruling. That's something no one else can do for you. That's something no one else should do for you."

Idriel grins and crosses her arms. "You're right. I will be sure to show them how grateful I am, though, to have such loyalty."

***

Thranduil is more than happy to let the Aeldyn elves stay until construction is finished. Mirkwood has more than enough room, and he's observed that the Mirkwood elves have taken to like the Aeldyn elves, which is good news because they will definitely be interacting more in the future.

Just like Idriel had shown Thranduil her favorite place, her garden, Thranduil shows Idriel his. It's nothing compared to her garden, but he hopes she will still find the same beauty in it that he does.

He leads her out onto the balcony attached to his room and tells her to wait until the sun has completely set. They linger there as the sun descends.

"What are you smirking at?" Thranduil asks with a laugh.

Idriel shakes her head. "It's just...our relationship used to be so fragile and broken. Remember when you came to Aeldyn for the first time? That was a disaster. We couldn't be in the same room without arguing. Since then, I feel like every day we've spent together has fixed the cracks. Now, I feel like there was never a gap in our timeline. And I like it."

"I am very pleased you feel that way," Thranduil responds, and he really is. He knows exactly what she means. At first, things were frigid and strict, but now, after everything, they're warm and relaxed. "I mirror your emotions."

She glances at him. "Really?"

"Of course." Thranduil smiles as the last ray of sunshine disappears. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

They gaze at the night sky now, which is slowly unfolding like a black blanket to reveal stars and galaxies galore. There isn't a blank spot in the sky.

"This is my favorite place," Thranduil says quietly, "because it reminds me that in a setting like this, there's no room for anything scornful or evil. There's only radiance and light, and I like to think that that is how I love. I like to think I love so much that nothing could ever possibly penetrate it. No venom, no weapon. Just more love.

"And I love many people--you, Legolas, my people--but all in different ways. My love for you is not the same as my love for my people, and the galaxies that shine up there are different, too. It also reminds me that love does not have to be equivalent or exactly the same. It's an emotion of variety."

Idriel is still gazing at outer space and when she turns to him, there's a smile in her eyes and on her lips. "I always knew you had beauty everywhere. Even your words drip with it."

"Well, who do you think I learned from?" he ridicules. "Only the best."

And to show he is talking about her, he leans down to kiss her, reminding himself to be gentle. When he pulls away, he swears the stars are closer, as if him and Idriel's love is pulling them in. He kisses her again because there's a fifty year gap to fill, and when she smiles against his mouth he smiles back and deepens the kiss.

The stars reflect off their crowns like diamonds in the sunlight.