Chapter 10: Jade

"If I could be granted a wish, I'd shine in your eye like a jewel." -Bette Midler

***

While the elves pour into the Great Hall, Thranduil and Idriel remain in the hallway. Idriel is on the border of freaking out, and Thranduil is doing his best to make sure she can deliver a speech.

"It will be alright," he whispers as she fidgets nonstop. "Just explain what's going on. They need to know to be safe."

"I know," she says. "I will. I do not want them to stay here any longer if this is going to start being fatal."

"Send them to Mirkwood," Thranduil orders.

Idriel shakes her head. "They will not go there. Many are still unhappy with your realm, unfortunately. I will tell them to go to Rivendell, perhaps, or somewhere they have a safe haven."

"Very well." Thranduil takes her hands softly and kisses each palm, hoping her shaking will recede. "I will go. I do not think your citizens will be thrilled to see me."

This earns a half smile from her. "Thank you for coming. I will write you a letter and keep you updated."

Idriel watches him go, and she has to admit she's almost sad. She imagines this is what he felt like when she left him all those years ago; he had it one hundred times worse, and she regrets her actions.

Going out amongst the wave of elves, she positions herself before them and holds her arms up for silence.

"A catastrophe is happening here," she begins solemnly. "I am afraid that Aeldyn is falling apart, literally, and it is crumbling quickly." Confusion spreads across the faces of most, so she expands. "The chandelier fell at my coronation. Since then, other things have broken, too. You do not notice, for they are small follies, but eventually I fear this whole palace will come crashing down."

Murmurs spread throughout the crowd along with worried looks. Idriel hurries to keep going, so as not to panic them.

"I am requesting that you all leave. Some of our kin have fallen due to this...problem...and it would kill me to see any more die. I will contact Rivendell or any place you wish to go. You will be safe there."

"I don't know about anyone else," someone shouts, "but if my kingdom is breaking, I'm staying and fixing it!" Cheers break out, and it is clear that the Aeldyn elves are not going anywhere.

"We'll help you, my lady!" a woman yells. "Just tell us what to do!"

Idriel silences them once more. "I admire your loyalty, but do you realize this is a life or death situation? I have no idea what the future holds for any of you." She hesitates, and they gaze at her, waiting for her instruction. "If you wish to stay, you may. If you wish to go, which I urge you to do, go. Do not hassle those who choose to go or stay. Make your decision, and leave everyone else's to themselves."

The elves clap at her words. "What's the first order of business, my lady?" asks a guard.

"I am going to figure out why this is happening," Idriel says. "Hopefully if I do this, I can fix it. Until then, I say we fight back."

"How?" a smaller child asks.

"We fix what breaks," Idriel says firmly. "If a vase breaks in the hallway, replace it, or, if you can, piece it back together. We will not let this destroy our kingdom. I will not permit it."

Agreements ring out and soon everyone is dispersing slowly. Idriel is proud that so many of her citizens are deciding to stay and help. She honestly did not expect it.

Everything is looking up. With the help of Thranduil, Idriel will find out what is happening and put a stop to it forever. Her kingdom will be safe once more.

Idriel is talking with individual elves that have ideas when a guard interrupts her for the second time.

"Yes?" she asks, but needs no explanation. The glass of the castle is glowing blue. That can only mean one thing.

Orcs.