Chapter 12: Obsidian

"Sense shines with a double luster when it is set in humility. An able yet humbler man is a jewel with a kingdom." -William Penn

***

Idriel did not go to sleep right away and found herself doing what she does best when she over thinks--pacing. Stepping into the hallway for fresh air, she walks back and forth across the glass of a window cut out of the vines that cover the glass walls.

"That is probably the most vulnerable spot for you to pace." Thranduil's voice doesn't completely surprise her. He used to be able to tell whenever she was restless and always found ways to distract her.

Idriel grins at her reflection in the glass. Her hair matches the night sky. "What makes you say that?"

Thranduil moves to stand beside her. "First of all, your whole kingdom is vulnerable, but where you're standing is right in front of what must be the weakest sheet of glass in this castle. Anyone could shoot an arrow right through it and into your heart."

"Oh yes," Idriel begins sarcastically. "It is not as if I would see them or anything because, you know, glass isn't transparent at all."

Thranduil laughs for the first time since they have been reunited, a heartwarming sound that could drive away rainclouds. "It may be see-through but not at night."

"You still worry too much."

"Only about you."

"I wouldn't say that," Idriel says. "Legolas means very much to you."

Thranduil hums in agreement. "Speaking of him, I came over here to tell you what has been on my mind since your coronation."

Idriel leans against the wall and waits for him to speak.

"I was thinking we should tell him--please don't lean on the wall like that; you're making me nervous."

"Oh my goodness, you're ridiculous," Idriel says. "This glass is enchanted, so it's not going anywhere."

"Everything has been breaking these days," Thranduil reminds her. "You don't know what will crack next." He gestures for her to move away from the wall, and she does so reluctantly. "As I was saying, we need to tell him about our history."

Idriel sighs. She knew this day was coming eventually. "Why now?"

"We are all here," Thranduil says. "Why not?"

"Now?"

"I was just visiting him. He's awake."

Idriel nods. "Okay."

The dyad start off towards the infirmary, walking along the torch lighted corridor in comfortable silence. Thranduil's hand brushes the back of Idriel's several times, and the coldness of it makes Idriel shiver but not pull away.

Legolas is sitting up in his cot when they arrive, sipping water. He seems surprised to see them both come in. "I thought you just went for a stroll."

"And I found a friend," Thranduil says. "Son, we need to tell you something."

"Alright." Legolas sets his glass down and gives them his full attention.

"You know this, but Idriel used to live in Mirkwood with her father," Thranduil starts.

"Right. Then they moved away because of reasons," Legolas says, remembering what Idriel had told him the first time they met.

"We're here to tell you those reasons," Idriel continues.

"Idriel and I were in a relationship," Thranduil says heavily. "We were very much in love, and one night I faltered and had an affair with someone else-your mother. I told Idriel right away, and she was enraged. We fought some, then she took her father and left. I married your mother since she was carrying you, and Idriel and I did not speak for years."

Legolas does not seem horrified or repulsed. "Then what really happened to my mother?"

"I am afraid she is gone."

Legolas pales but nods. "So, are you two back together? I won't be upset if you are."

They both hesitate before Idriel speaks. "We're not. Your father is simply helping me with an endeavor."

Another nod. Silence. "I think...that I would like to...venture some," Legolas says. "I cannot go back, I don't think."

Idriel seems taken back, but Thranduil appears to have expected it for he says, "I understand. Go north, and you will find a man named Strider. His father was a good man; I hope he is the same."

Legolas nods gratefully for his understanding and once getting permission from Idriel to leave tomorrow afternoon, he wishes for sleep. They leave him to rest.

Neither of them talk until they are outside of Idriel's room.

"That was very selfless of you, letting him go," Idriel says quietly.

"It had to happen someday. Why do you seem upset? He took it very well."

Idriel looks at him pitifully. "You've lost everyone you had. Most of the time it's been my fault."

"Legolas will be fine," Thranduil assures her. "The only one I've truly lost is you, Idriel. When I faltered I lost your trust, companionship, happiness, and, tragically, your love."

Idriel quietly asks, "Do you want them back?"

"Want what back?"

"All those things."

Thranduil slowly moves closer and whispers, "More than anything."

Reaching up, Idriel kisses him, softly at first, but with more passion when he pulls her closer. He grips her waist as she cups his immaculate face and time personifies only to melt around them. They still move in perfect unison just like all those years ago; somehow, every instance of their love before this moment doesn't even begin to compare to the intensity of right then.

They remember their deal simultaneously and pull away just enough to breathe.

Thranduil clarifies, "Deal's off?"

"Oh please, it was never on."