Chapter 13: Turquoise

"Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust." -John Webster

***

At this point in time the day is approaching too quickly for there to be any logic behind getting any rest. Idriel cannot sleep anyway--whether due to the fact that her kingdom is crumbling or the chance of her and Thranduil's tempest relationship calming, she doesn't know.

Guided by a new drive to rid of the ignorance that plagues them, the two spend the rest of the early morning in the library divulging over books and ancient scrolls. Their progress is slower than it could be because their deal is off. Now they can touch each other without fear and talk about their past without heartache.

"My fondest memory of you though," Idriel begins, "is when you imprisoned all those dwarves--the ones that reclaimed the mountain--and they escaped as easily as if you'd trapped them in bubbles."

Thranduil rolls his eyes slightly. "You weren't even here for that!"

"Trust me, everyone heard about it."

"It was not the dwarves themselves," Thranduil says. "It was their sneaky little hobbit. I still do not know how he got past my guards, no matter how light on his feet he was."

"Because I'm sure your guards were on their best watch and not getting drunk or anything," Idriel responds.

"I'm done talking about this, it was fifty years ago."

"Alright, alright." The white ornate doors of the library open just slightly to let someone slip in. Idriel notices immediately. "Hello, Eranthe. What brings you here?"

"I have information that might prove useful," the elf says.

"Come in and join us then," Idriel says.

"Thank you, my lady." He bows to her and Thranduil before taking a seat.

"Eranthe was my father's right hand man when he ruled," Idriel explains to Thranduil. "They were inseparable."

"Then I say he earns my trust," Thranduil says with a respectful nod. "I knew her father well, too. Now, what can you tell us?"

Eranthe sighs and folds his hands. "I came here with a flood of elves that were leaving Mirkwood, so it was before you and your father arrived. This same thing was happening then, but in much smaller increments. I was one of the only ones who noticed the cracks and bruises.

"When you and he arrived and he was named King, I told him right away. He confided in me to never tell anyone what he would do, as the sort of magic was frowned upon then."

"Dark magic?" Thranduil questions.

"Not quite," Eranthe continues. "It just required more than plain elf magic. It needed blood. And I don't mean a sacrifice, just a small vial to seal the magic. This spell put a protection around Aeldyn, and it stopped the breaking. If I am correct, I believe the spell is fading because he is dead."

"Then we just need to reinforce the magic," Idriel says. "That will be easy."

Eranthe looks sorrowful. "I am sorry, but the spell he used is lost. He hid it so that no one would ever repeal it, and he told no one where he hid it, not even me."

"It can't be that difficult to find," Thranduil says confidently.

"I'd start looking now," Eranthe suggests. "I don't think Aeldyn is going to last much longer."

"Thank you for telling us this," Idriel says gratefully.

"Of course. And if you need any assistance, you know where to find me." Eranthe bows to each again and departs.

"This is wonderful!" Idriel exclaims. "We're going to fix Aeldyn!"

"We need to search. Where should we start?"

"His room. No one has touched it."

They climb to Idriel's father's room and begin at once, looking in every nook and cranny.

Thranduil notices Idriel reading what looks like a letter, and strides over, wondering what it is. Idriel's hands shake as she reads and continue even after she puts it down.

Thranduil wraps his arms around her waist from behind. "What's wrong?" he asks, kissing her neck.

Idriel's eyes are glossed over, but she doesn't cry. "Nothing, it's just a letter to my mother. She died when I was young."

"I'm sorry."

She turns to face him. "Me too." Bringing his hand up to her neck, Thranduil draws her in and kisses her until she is happy again. When he pulls away, she smiles. "I don't think he concealed it in here."

"Then let's keep looking." With a butterfly kiss and a squeeze of the hand, she guides him out of the dead man's room and back into the world of the living.