Chapter 7: Sapphire

"A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials." -Lucius Annaeus Seneca

***

"My lord, you have a visitor."

That is not something Thranduil wants to hear. He has been having a bad day already; a complaining visitor will not help anything.

"Very well," he says with a drawn out sigh. "Let them in."

The elf bows, and Thranduil has to restrain from rolling his eyes. On a day like today, everything is irksome.

Once he sees who has come for a visit, his spirits lift considerably.

"Idriel, what a pleasant surprise." He hopes his voice doesn't sound sarcastic. He notes the worry lines on her face in an instant. "What is wrong?"

"It is my kingdom," she starts. "It is falling apart."

Thranduil smiles softly. "Nonsense, I'm sure you're doing a phenomenal job as Queen."

"No, I mean it is literally falling apart," Idriel says impatiently. "Ever since the chandelier fell at my coronation, other things have been breaking as well."

Thranduil furrows his brow, confused. "Why have you come to me?" He doesn't see where she is going with this.

"I need help figuring out why this is happening all of the sudden. It is maddening. Every time I turn a corner, something shatters behind me."

Thranduil is immediately reluctant. Helping her would mean spending time together, and that means falling in love all over again just for it to lead to nothing. He doesn't know if his heart can take it.

"I'm sorry, Idriel, I don't believe I am the right person to come to with this," he says shakily. "Why not contact Lord Elrond or Lady Galadriel? I am sure they can solve your issue in an instant."

"I do not wish for their help," she says. "No one knows me as well as you do. I know you are more open than the others, no matter how shut off you seem sometimes. Please, Thranduil, my kingdom is crumbling as we speak."

Thranduil sighs because she's right. They know each other better than any elf in any realm. Working together would be the fastest and most logical thing to do.

"I will accept on one condition," Thranduil says.

"What is it?"

Thranduil descends his throne so he can speak quieter. "Our past is still in place, and you understand that I still have feelings for you--I always have--and they are not dissipating anytime soon."

"What is your condition?" Idriel asks, staring into his eyes boldly.

"I will help you with your problem if you promise not to fall in love with me again."

Idriel hesitates. "I cannot promise for my heart."

"I know it is not a logical condition, but I do not wish to have any more pain because of you." Thranduil must have said this too harshly. Idriel almost appears hurt, pain flickering across her green eyes.

"I cannot promise anything with that condition," she says. "That responsibility rests with you and you only. It is our individual jobs not to fall in love with each other again."

Thranduil nods. "I understand. I would like your word that you will try not to fall in love with me."

"As long as I get yours that you will not fall for me."

"You have my word."

"And mine binds to it."

This is what their relationship has come to, Thranduil realizes. They have to promise not to fall in love. What they feel in their hearts because of this task will have to be diminished because of what they have sworn in their brains. What one feels in their heart is not what the brain wants and what the brain wants is not felt in the heart.

What a shame that the heart and the brain like to play Russian roulette.